3-Way Splitters

hey guys, i was decorating outside and ran into a lack of outlets. i bought 2

3-way splitters. is it going to do any harm if i plug one into the other so that I can use one as an extension cord without changing the actual number of lights and subsequently the voltage? thank you very much

-andrew

Reply to
drewboo63090

Do not understand the term: splitters. What on earth are you asking us here?

Reply to
Jim Gregory

I assume you mean three way extension leads?

With things like lighting you should be ok - just make sure the total load is well within the rating of the cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think he is trying to "Bling" his house: (not decorating as in improving the appearance of your house)

make lots of holes everywhere for fixings and cables - it will do wonders for the value of your house. I hope you enjoy taking it all down again on a miserable cold damp day in January. I've never seen the point of decorating the outside - how do I benefit when I am inside with the curtains closed.

Reply to
john

Each extra connection on the way increases the chance of problems (such as overheating if dirty or badly fitting) so it is a good idea to "de-rate" as you add more fittings.

My rule of thumb is to remove a couple of amps of rating for each fitting (from the lowest rated item in the chain). So, if I have two extension leads, one plugged into the other, with a 3-way adaptor at the end (all rated at 13A), I would not feel safe drawing more than 7A in total from the adaptor. If I one of the extension leads were rated less than 13A it would be lower. For example if one lead were rated at only 10A (or 2400W), then I would only feel safe with 4A. This may seem a bit over the top, but I would rather do this than be trying to figure out why my house burned down when everything was "within rating".

A few things to consider:

  • Extension cable reels are generally rated much lower when reeled up than when totally unwound (if it doesn't say this then be very careful as it may have been written in small print on the original box, or at the back of the instruction sheet).
  • Make sure you count everything on the entire run.
  • Work out what the total load is going to be and consider if this could be overloading the ring main (you can't take 13A out of every socket, and in fact you can't take 13A out of each of a double socket!)

- also take account of washing machine, dryer, dish-washer, kettle etc.

  • Will your house supply take the increased load safely? I have seen some displays that I doubt could be powered safely from a normal domestic supply!
Reply to
Sadly