3 pin plug (on battery charger)

I'm a bit disappointed my new battery charger didn't come with a standard UK mains plug but some Euro shaver-type plug with 2 round pins.

Don't the regs say all UK electrical equipment must come with an ordinary mains plug?

Could this sort of item be exempt because the mains lead is not fixed? You can see the lead here:

Amazon's listing mentions "Formal Original Nitecore UK Plug". What does that mean?

pamela

Can't answer your questions, but if it were mine, I'd just set to and cut the plug off and fit a standard three-pin mains plug, grumbling all the while!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes - unless specifically designed to be only used with an isolated shaver socket. Which no battery charger is.

Complain. They'll usually send you a clip on adaptor. The sort where the two pin plug fits inside it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If sold from the UK it should have a UK plug, but the vendor is Chinese. You probably got sent the wrong lead. i'd keep it in case you want to use the device or others with the same input connector, on the continent; Saves taking adaptors, You can buy suitable UK mains leads for next to nothing on ebay (£2.99 inc postage) or as Dave says mutter at the supplier.

Reply to
charles

The item was fulfilled by Amazon and the sale was made on Amazon UK, so wouldn't items need to adhere to UK regulations?

Does that whenever I order an electrical item from Amazon I may also have to buy a ?3 adapter/lead each time? Surely not.

Reply to
pamela

As I said, they probably sent the wrong lead.

I didn't suggest that. Anyway, once you've got a lead that works in the UK you could then use it with items you bought abroad.

Reply to
charles

Sometimes one gets a clamp on adaptor for it for the country you are in. The one the RNIB sent me for my eye glasses charger was almost impossible to fit due to the need for super human strength in the finger nail department. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

If the lead is a standard figure of 8 connection at the charger end these can be picked up with uk plugs on. Might be worth pointing this issue out to them if it was a marketplace buy. I often find that devices for computers come with 'a power chord', which could be anything from a usb supply or just a usb lead you plug into the computer to get power from there. Nobody knows quite often till you get it. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Just open the LN shutters of a BS1361 socket with a screwdriver/pen/car key shoved into the earth terminal then ram the prongs of the charger into the socket.

Job done:-)

It might fit some MK sockets without the need of the above suggested items.

Reply to
ARW

I had to do something like that with my desk lamp which came with the same sort of plug. But a battery charger is used then put away, so fiddling with the socket each time will be a nuisance.

I'll do it the old way and actually wire a plug to the mains lead. If I can find a spare plug that isn't all plastic fused to a mains lead.

Reply to
pamela

My tootbrush battery charger?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Yes, mine too, A Braun bought in Tesco.

Reply to
RJH

My Nitecore came with a 3 pin UK mains plug

I've had some equipment supplied with 2 pin plugs AND with a UK mains plug adapter where the two pin plug is locked into 3he 3 pin UK plug and cannot be removed when in use.

Reply to
alan_m

I suspect those are 'designed' for that use (double insulated / whatever) and aren't 'battery chargers' but chargers for specific devices that happen to contain rechargeable batteries. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Adam, do you happen to know the years when those sockets were manufactured? All the sockets in this house are of that type, it was rewired in about 1976, before I bought it. IMHO they are the best (non metal clad) BS1361 sockets ever made, and I have not had a single issue with any of them in spite of misusing them by sticking Euro plugs into them etc.

Just in case anyone hasn't thought it through, it's a really not a good idea to plug a Euro plug into a UK wall outlet without an intervening fused adapter or extension lead, the only over current protection available is likley to be a 32 Amp MCB in the consumer unit which is hopelessly inadequate.

Reply to
Graham.

Fitting a plug is dead easy and the correct answer.

I could sent an apprentice round to f*ck it up if you want me to.

Reply to
ARW

It certainly shouldn't. And if you make a fuss, they'll almost certainly send you a lead with a proper UK 13A 3-pin plug.

But is it worth the hassle? At the charger end, it's a standard 2-pin figure of 8 plug as used by lots of appliances - radios, computer peripherals, etc. I've got a drawer full of suitable leads which I kept after the devices with which they were supplied had died. Are you sure that you haven't?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Me too, plus those given to me because the PO's were having a clear out and going to throw them away. The same applies to Ethernet cables and even USB cables. "I don't use it so I'm going to throw it away" ... till the next time I'm round there helping them out with something and find they need the cable ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No fear! Poor darlings.