3 phase wiring

I disconnected a couple of 3ph machines this week and moved them to new premises where the appropriate switches have been wired and installed.

I had been intending to have a 'Professional' in to wire them up but am now considering doing it myself/

The wiring was left on the machines when they were moved but I'm now looking at a cable end which has one earth wire and 4 other wires, all of which are white !

The outlet is easier understood as it only has an earth and two other terminals (I just had a quick look)

So what do I do with the 4 white wires. (I know, I really should have paid more attention when I dis-connected them ;-( )

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

If the outlet only has three connections, one of them being earth, then this is a single phase circuit!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Sounds like you need a 3ph supply to start with !...

You are going to need a least (ph) terminals plus an earth, it sounds like you only have a single ph, neutral and earth supply. I suggest you get in a electrician as you can get 440 v shocks / shorts from a 3ph supply and you also need to connect the motors up correctly if they are rotation critical.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Whoops ! I did say I only had a quick look ! I'll go back tomorrow and look again.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

A problem if the device must *never* run backwards. However if it's not vital and you get it wrong simply swap two of the phases.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Find a 3 phase and neutral supply! Sounds like a motor is involved. The

4 wires should be 3 phase wires and a neutral. The motor probably is a star start(230V) Delta run(440V) connection.

IIRC correctly, if the motor runs backwards, it is only necessary to reverse two of the Phase connections. NOT the Neutral!!

It's a few years since I played with these, so, I'd do a quick look up on Google to get better information.

Hope this helps.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Yes, I know, that is why I used the phrase 'rotation critical'. :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Had another look. What I see are earth wire to connector block on right. Return (?) blue wire to connector block on left and 3 brown wires wired into top of actual switch.

I haven't removed the machine connector box cover but I am assuming that both the earth and return will be easily identified amongst the wires in which the lead terminates . After that is there any way I can identify the correct wiring of the remaining 3 wires or do I just give up and call in a professional ?

(The machine is a panel saw with main and scoring blade)

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

You could ask the manufacturer if it matters if the machine runs backwards, Paul.

Is this the CF731? Remember that the spindle can be reversed on the switch and is done by transposing two of the phase wires, AFAIK.

If it is OK for the machine to be allowed to run backwards without damage, then all you do is transpose two of the phase wires if it's wrong.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No Andy, the CF731 is single phase, I have it at home . This is an Altendorf we use for manufacturing. I have a multi-spindle boring machine to re-connect which is 3 phase also. I really wish I had paid more attention when I dis-connected them but at the time thought I would be calling in the pros.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Of course - I remember the discussion about your problems with the convertor.

As far as I am aware, the electricity suppliers don't guarantee the relationship between the phases anyway, so test gear would be needed to confirm them if you have to be sure about direction of rotation of the motors before powering up.

I can't think of a reason that the motor running backwards on a saw would be a problem (if you are not cutting obviously); but if you are going to connect yourself, I would contact Altendorf and ask.

Reply to
Andy Hall