3 core SWA cable colour coding..

It is a non-standard but electrically safe circuit that only a competent person can access. No problem IMHO.

I have seen more 13A loft sockets running from the upstairs lighting than you would believe. The 6A MCB (or 5A fuse) for the lighting circuit provides all the protection needed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

David Hansen coughed up some electrons that declared:

I would disagree on the sleeving - this cable is to "old" preharmonised colours, therefor the sleeving should follow the same system (red and black). That's what we were taught.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I usually sleeve the old colours with the new colours where they meet. My theory is that red sleeving will become harder to buy in the future.

As long as each cable is correctly identified with sleeving in either the old or new colour scheme where old meets new then there is no problem.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It won't be, all bits have chubb locked enclosures, well the important bits and only I have the key:)..

Yes we need this to be done correctly..

OK...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes 'tho the CCTV is prolly nearer to 60 watts ..

Well it just means the light is a bit dimmer then it might, otherwise be but no real problem.. The CCTV gear is on mains switch mode's that go from 100 to 230 volts .. so quite tolerant..

Haven't looked a Earth wire runs off somewhere and theres the "earth" on the supply cable.. But walloping a few Furse stakes in here and there isn't a problem:)..

OK..cheers..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , David Hansen scribeth thus

The powers that be don't want them to be on all the time, otherwise I expect that would have been done by now seems someone thinks it will light pollute the night sky and blind the wildlife..

As to the CCTV its amazing what modern cameras can pick up in low light:)..

The lights are switched bu a rather complex overkill control system..

Have to check that I expect that the existing Yellow conductor is doing that..

Indeed..

Ok..

Ok 'tho brown black and grey seems a grey area;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net scribeth thus

I expect they would but for a lot of the night no ones there at all except the bunnies;).. And foxy woxy;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Tim S scribeth thus

OK, 'tho I note the various comments on that but somehow Blue, Red, and Yellow seem a bit more logical..

Perhaps we'll have to put it to the vote;))..

Reply to
tony sayer

Be careful. If the telegraph poles are "reclaimed" they may be impregnated with creosote, which reacts with PVC over a period of time IIRC. That wouldn't be good for unprotected cable.

Reply to
mick

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:22:19 +0100 someone who may be tony sayer wrote this:-

The question is how the cameras react to the sudden switch on of high lighting levels. Some produce a white image for several seconds, until the camera adjusts itself. If the lights are activated by people/animals then that white image may be just at the time when you would most like to see/record the image.

Reply to
David Hansen

In article , David Hansen scribeth thus

Very well the new ones do, these seem to get better with development....

Reply to
tony sayer

^

These are quite some age and are ex GPO there doesn't seem to be any noticeable deterioration exposed to the air and public!..

Reply to
tony sayer

There is absolutely no reason to do so. Existing installations can continue to use the old colours and the proposed red = live / yellow = switched live / blue = neutral is exactly the way the circuits should be wired.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:30:53 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar" wrote this:-

In your opinion, which you are entitled to.

Reply to
David Hansen

duh... yeah... :-)

The pole will be fine - the pvc insulation may get it's plasticisers leached out by the creosote, making it dry and brittle. Eventually the pvc drops off, leaving bare copper. That's if I've understood it correctly. Of course, it *may* not be creosote that they used and the pvc formulation *may* be different now. Personally, I've never run pvc cable against creosoted telegraph poles. :-) Some nice galv conduit wouldn't be amiss & would also protect the wiring against being nibbled by mice etc.

Reply to
mick

When adding a small amount of new colour wiring to a large amount of old, it makes more sense to sleeve the new to match the old rather than the other way around. That way you only need add sleeving to new wires and not existing ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep thats what is now intended :)

Reply to
tony sayer

When I tried to do this at a mates house, provide unswitched live on the yellow conductor I found the yellow was bonded to the SWA armour somewhere, possibly an undergorund junction box so was not possible to do.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4180 (20090623) __________

Ian_m

In article , Ian_m scribeth thus

No this is fine, its all above ground well the jointed are:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , tony sayer scribeth thus

Further to this shenanigans we went to site yesterday and discovered that Three of the SWA connections weren't that well connected, one was totally disconnected the Steel having rusted away completely. What it seems had happened is that they terminate in plastic boxes on the underside of those and over time water has seeped into the top of where the plastic cover goes and thence into the clamped part of the joint.

In fact one was full of water, and all were corroded quite badly for about a foot or so .

However we came across un-rusted metal and made the connections. However it looks that despite the sealing the same will happen again. It would be more sensible to have the cables coming in the sides where the rain will run off quicker, but that isn't practical. Anyone got any ideas in how to prevent this perhaps filling them all with silicone sealant or similar?..

cheers...

Reply to
tony sayer