3.5mm jack plugs and 7:1 audio

As far as I can see I need those cables because the 3.5mm plugs match the line out sockets with regard to the number of poles/conductors. [Please look back to my original query about a mis-match between the number of conductors in the socket and the number of conductors on the plug.]

I don't need to connect all the RCA plugs - just the relevant 5.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Coiling mains cables is never a good idea. If it's a permanent installation, cut them down to size. The cost of a plug is pennies in the overall costs of things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are 5 or 6 turns of mains lead sufficient to cause interference with regular line level audio in neighbouring meads or am I fussing over nothing?

People fussing over nothing is what keeps Russ Andrews in business and I don't want to join them.

Reply to
pamela

If the AV sockets are RCA then scratch what I said. We've come almost full circle!

Reply to
pamela

By far and away the highest level audio signal carried by mains wiring is

50 Hz. So that is the most likely one to be heard. There may also be more spikey interference from dimmers and SMPS, etc. But it's more likely to be picked up by things like an LP cartridge, or analogue tape recorder etc than the wiring. Easiest way to check is to turn off the sound source (TV or whatever) and turn up the power amp to max, and see if you can hear any nasties.

Russ Andrews appears to hear things no one else can. Or could just be lying. Of course unscrupulous business separating money from the gullible is exactly what many want to preserve. Wouldn't do to stop it by regulation. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[123 lines snipped] 1 > If the AV sockets are RCA then scratch what I said. We've come almost 2 > full circle!

Sigh.

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

Huge, not all long re-posts have no purpose. I've left in the text of previous posts because a number of technical points have been raised in them and their relevance is still being discussed.

I would normally apologise if I inadvertently make an excessive repost (as I sometimes do) but this is not one of those times.

Reply to
pamela

I'd say this is *especially* not one of those times (this posting was his one and only contribution to this thread).

Why he picked on you to have a go at over the matter of failing to 'trim' the attributions when there have been so many others 'committing the same sin', escapes me right now.

At least if and when the question of "Should I trim or not trim?" comes up again, you no longer have to consider his feelings in the matter. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

A request for information. :-)

Are people who only join a thread to post *Plonk* by definition plonkers?

Or is there another more technical term?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I think you've "nailed it". :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

coils

As far as the current flow is concerned you have that. The fields will tend to cancel. Running your audio cable through the coils is still not a good idea though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My audio cables don't run through the coiled main leads but run near them. There's sort of a big jumble of lots of leads from the PC and associated equipment.

I thought I would tidy the mains leads by coiling them but then I thought that may strengthen any interference.

Dave P suggested I cut the mains leads to length but I'm reluctant to do that in case I need to move equipment. Anyway, a lot of mains leads these days have moulded plugs at each end which I would like to keep.

Coiling one way and then another means the leads are not as tidy and, if I have understood it correctly, would have repeated kinks.

Reply to
pamela

Let's not be too hard on Huge. He probably opened my post to see what this thread was about and got a lot of quoted text with just a few new words at the bottom. Understandably, rather than work out what's been going on here, he probably just posted about this frustration.

By the way, how are you getting on with the audio connections? I'm hoping it's all sorted out now.

Reply to
pamela

Buy a spare lead and cut that, then. They're pretty cheap on Ebay. See if you can find one with a removable plug.

If you want it to look tidy, cut the leads to length. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Awaiting a re-work of the shelving (another thread) and a reply from Creative about their special leads.

Looks like being a very slow job, and one amongst many.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Bundling rather than coiling is the answer to that.

Reply to
Clive George

Or open end ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That depends on what you mean by "one way and then another". The proper way to coil a cable is to put the twists in in opposite directions. Sometimes known as "under over":

There is a less kack handed way of handling the reverse twist (which is the method I use) and I did have link to a YouTube video of that method but that video has disappeared. B-(

I can't get my head around which direction the cable actually runs in each turn. I think it's opposite the adjacent ones as you are creating a figure of eight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite. But if spending lots of money on decent gear is it really asking too much to cut down the mains leads to the right length?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the cable continues to be wound as a coil with all turns in the same direction.

le_wrapping_101/

From those photos, it's the twist along the cable which gets reversed with each turn.

Probably a brilliant wheeze for roadies with 20 metre plus cables as they uncoil without kinks. Not of much use to me and my computer mains leads as it doesn't really reduce interference.

Reply to
pamela