3/4" bib taps

Hi,

I bought a 3/4" bib tap from Tool station. I was hoping to find a connector to screw onto the spout onto which I could fit Hozelock (or similar) fittings.

The problem I have found with bib taps is that they are referred to as either 1/2" or 3/4" taps but they have two threads: one on the spout and one on the back of the tap. The tap manufacturers refer to the measurement of the thread on the back of the tap.

A 1/2" tap has a 1/2" thread on the back of it but it has a 3/4" thread on the spout. A 3/4" tap has a 3/4" thread on the back and something else all together on the spout. I think the fact that both sizes of taps have a 3/4" thread somewhere is what is responsible for all the confusion. I have tried a number of people and no-one has been able to supply the right part!

The consensus is that a 3/4" tap has a 7/8" thread on the spout but I can only find 3/4" and 1" hose adaptors. Hozelock do sell a 22mm adaptor but "not for use in Britain".

7/8" is roughly 22mm, so I am wondering whether your 22mm adaptor would fit; is it a BSP thread or something completely different? It is intended for the European market; do they use a metric thread instead?

The tap came with a ribbed brass fitting that the hose pushes over. I guess I should stop being so fussy and stick with that! The problem is it isn't as easy as a quick release fitting when you want to remove the hose when you have finished to keep the garden looking tidy.

Has anyone found a 7/8" adaptor anywhere?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Is there some reason why you insist on a 3/4" tap to feed a garden hose with? What size hose do you use with it?

Reply to
cynic

7/8 BSP is the thread that would be cut on some 7/8 bore iron pipe years ago (if such stuff ever existed). It will be much greater diameter over the thread than 7/8" so your comparison with 22mm is not relevant.

Why not fit a short stub of hose on and then put a your chosen quick release fitting on that?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If it measures 7/8" then it is 1/2" BSP.

1/8" BSP = 10.3 mm OD 1/4" BSP = 13.8 mm OD 3/8" BSP = 17.2 mm OD 1/2" BSP = 21.4 mm OD 3/4" BSP = 26.6 mm OD 1" BSP = 33.5 mm OD

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Having spent 25 odd years selling pressure washers, I've never come across a threaded tap that wasn't 3/4" BSP.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't know about 3/4" taps, but 1/2" taps *usually* have a 3/4"BSP thread for the hose connection. It's not universal though - I've had them with

5/8"BSP threads, and have even seen them with 1/2"BSP. Some Hozelock-type fittings come with reducers to enable them to fit taps of any of the 3 sizes which I have mentioned.
Reply to
Roger Mills

It is on the water butt rather than mains water; I thought the larger bore would help counter any flow issues due to it not being at mains pressure.

Reply to
Fred

That's looking like the only way, thanks.

Reply to
Fred

As I understand it most are 1/2"BSP where they screw to the wall plate and 3/4" BSP for the hose connection. I bought this larger one which is 3/4" at the wall plate and 7/8" for the hose because it is fitted to a water butt and I wasn't sure how good flow would be from a gravity source. I'm thinking I might fit a "normal" bib tap to see whether there is any difference and if not I will be able to use the connectors commonly available.

Reply to
Fred