2L Pinto > MKII Escort X-member?

Hi All,

I guess some of the folk on here must also (or have also) DIY'd their own vehicle mods so I'd thought I'd ask here ..

My 22yr old 2l GL Sierra Estate is mechanically sound (just went through another MOT with no work) but is showing the consequences of:

Being parked in the sun / rain all it's life

Being hit by lorries whilst parked

and being driven by the missus (wrote off a Marina with it on a roundabout, hit a post and folded a wing up, backed into summat and dented the fuel tank ....)

We have also just aquired my Dads old 1.4i Astra and so the Sierra has sorta (reluctantly) become surplus.

I have just fitted new coil (stronger) coil springs and Polybushes to the front of the Rickman Ranger (kit car) and am considering making use of the 2l Pinto lump to replace the fairly tired and rattly (but seemingly indestructable) 1300 engine currently in there?

Q. I'm told there may be an 'issue' with the std Sierra sump and the (1978) MKII Escort saloon cross member and this can be resolved by:

Jacking the engine up a bit (highrt c.o.g and nasty prop angles etc)

Cut n shut the sump myself (not a real problem but time consuming)

Finding a 'suitable' sum to bolt straight on?

So, anyone out there remember what I need to be looking for (sumpwise) please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you can find one, Escort RS2000 sump (Pinto engine fitted by Ford into a Escort) ?

Why not ask in the car groups though, or at least marking the thread OT:....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Done this myself (to a MK11 escort) in the dim and distant past ;)

Look for an RS2000 sump - if you can find one... ISTR issues with the bellhousing and flywheel too, best ask in a car group as suggested ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

We used to do this all the time, I found the cheapest solution is to cut and dent in the centre section of the crossmember then reweld where needed, you will need oxyacetylene or make lots of extra cuts and welds. We never had one of these fail at welds or anywhere else.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As I said in another group, and you yet again prove, you are nothing but a worthless idiot BODGING bastard...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

As I said in another group, and you yet again prove, you are nothing but a worthless idiot BODGING bastard...

"mrcheerful ." I think you mean 'mrclueless' :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You need an RS2000 sump and oil pick up - which may be difficult to find. An alternative is the dry sump kits which used to be used on road rally RS2000s until 1984 when I think they were banned or discouraged. There should be sites around with plans for the RS2000 sump and as you probably won't be applying high-G forces you can get away with less baffle-ing.

Reply to
G&M

Thanks for the replies Guys,

I didn't ask in the possibly most appropriate place (uk.rec.cars.kit-cars) as the answer to this was quite urgent and that group isn't as active as this one (so thanks again) ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

RS sump, or with care and a steady hand reshape the original sump using a ball pein hammer to clear, done right it'll look ok and still be oil tight, the sump off a crapi is a closer to desired fit IIRC.

Niel, once an RS nut....RS1600, RS2000, RS3100 engine (with triple carbs) in a granada, borrowed RS500, tested RS200....Madness, pure madness ;-)

Reply to
Badger

Ok, but looking at the RS sump it has 'wings' (or a wing at least) and I assume that is to hold the oil displaced by the reduction in depth over the xmember? I assume there wouldnt be a problem if I fabricated my own 'wings' to bring the capacity back?

done right it'll look ok and still be oil

Ok, good tip .. maybe I could get a sump and be working on it ..

RS200 ... Isn't that the rallycross thing .. 0 >60 in notime?

..Madness, pure

I bet!

Cheers ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

For most applications you don't need the extra oil. Just use a modern synthetic.

It was intended for rallying but it and other similar cars got banned before it made much impression.

Reply to
G&M

I don't hold to that theory, oil does more than just lubricate, if you're going to reduce the quantity of oil then you should be thinking of an increase in rad (effective cooling) size or fitting an oil cooler.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

When I first started using Mobil 1 in rally cars in the early 80s the first thing we usually had to do was blank off the oil coolers. In a performance application you must ensure you do noit overcool the lubricant and efficiency will actually drop. Obviously the OP should ensure the oil isn't running too hot but these oils have allowed sump sizes to be reduced significantly since the mid 80s.

Reply to
G&M

Yes, the wing was to increase capacity, steel sumps with two wings were fabricated too. Though the std. sump should still hold enough with a standard engine, you only loose about half a pint capacity. IIRC the Fireball cam (Bob's copy of my tarmac rally cam, long story) is still available, if you start tuning thats the best starting point, big valves and expensive add ons (other than DCOEs) really don't return as much VFM...

It was, handled better than a chipped RS500 I borrowed though, that dam thing would try to circle its front end with little provacation! Niel.

Reply to
Badger