2KG Makita SDS+

I need to take down about a billion old wall and floor tiles, so I planned to buy a cheap SGS+ with rotor-stop. But I got seduced by the Makita HR2470, which isn't cheap. Boy! am I glad I got it. The tile adhesive might just as well be butter.

R. (the happy demolition man)

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Trouble with most of the cheapies is the weight - and for something like this you don't need much power. Heavy cheapies can be fine for working on a floor but get a real pain when it's walls.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a massive difference in finesse as well. The Makita lets you lock off a chisel at any orientation of your choosing, and then you can control the hammer action very precisely - anything from a gentle tapping - say just enough for scoring through wallpaper and skim coat as you outline a socket backbox cutout, to full on breaker mode for rapid demolition. My 2450 is still one of my favourite tools - puts a smile on my face each time I use it ;-) (I know, easily pleased!)

Reply to
John Rumm

My old Dewalt does all that too - including the smile on face. ;-) IIRC, it was the first DIY affordable lightweight one. Similar model now costs less than half what I paid. But I'm not complaining.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)