Subject Author Posted Replies

Strategies for staying cool
I hate this hot weather. So what's the best way of keeping cool, apart from wandering around 90% naked? Keep windows open to let the outside air circulate, even though that air may be warmer than...
68
68

If its summer, its climate change
But in winter, its just weather.
17
17

Levelling a door frame . . .
Fitting a new door frame to the 2 storey offshot kitchen. Like most round here, the offshot has sunk a couple of inches over the years (built 1890), meaning the frame is about 1.5cm out in the...
10
10

Canon xl1
Could I convert a canon xl1 for live streaming
3
3

Best way to lay traditional Norfolk pamment floor
We have 300 year old farmhouse (brick, flint and lime mortar construction) and planning to lay traditionally made Norfolk pamment floor tiles. There is evidence they were there before. My research...
2
2

Killing algae in hot weather
I want to spray BAC (benzalkonium chloride) to kill a light growth of algae on concrete in a back yard. There's no moss. Is it effective to apply the BAC on a hot day? The algae looks dried out and...
2
2

Stuck to a litter bin...
Yellow sticky back plastic sign, black text and stuck to a public council litter bin... BY KEEPING SILENT / YOU WILL CONDEMN US / TO SLAVERY What is that all about?
11
11

Laptop - water damaged keyboard
Sprog managed to spill water on his Acer Aspire laptop. Amazingly the only damage appears to be a 3 or 4 keys that won't work. Currently I've got the thing (it was a case of "Daaaaaaaaaad ...") and...
14
14

Pressure reduction valve
A few months back, the pressure of our water supply exceeded 6 bar while they were doing some work on the 24 inch main in the road. The water heater in the attic bathroom has a 6 bar relief valve and...
4
4

Wooden Rawlplugs
tried these? They're three times the price of the red plastic ones! Order online at Screwfix.com. 70% wood content. Eco friendly, universal and reliable. Suitable for all substrates and applications,...
40
40

Graphics card upsetting wireless mouse?
I've an SFF desktop (HP 8200) and i've a USB wireless mouse (unbranded) that occasionally becomes unresponsive and requires the unplugging and replugging of the dongle. I decided to give the PC a...
24
24

Accounting software
Vaguely on topic..... If you use accounting software what are you using and are you happy with it? I'm currently using Xero because that's what our accountant recommended. I don't get on very well...
18
18

immersion heater timers
Long time ago we had an immersion heater switch which when the water had come up to temperature and the thermostat cut out the heater switched itself off completely. Anyone know where I might buy...
41
41

Mobile phone repair
My darling wife dropped her phone into water - it's far from waterproof. She stuck it in the airing cupboard to dry, but it won't start up. I've taken it to pieces, and dusted off any obvious salts....
35
35

uPVC window broken opening mechanism
uPVC window - can't open it. Removed the handle, to find that there is a square spindle - just like a door handle - that drives a metal part with a square hole that is visible inside the window....
7
7