Subject Author Posted Replies

Multi room carpet calculator
Hi All, We are looking to get new carpet for the house with the same carpet throughout. It is likely that we will need a whole roll of carpet. I have a few questions for you all :) 1. Does anyone know...
5
5

Cracked glass in sash window
Hi, Does the panel think it is possible to replace a broken pane of glass in the lower sash of a 4th floor window without removing the window itself?
14
14

A bit OT Blue Peter Ealing Studio and Ronnie Barker
Just in case those that have worked in the film/stage industry that post here have not seen it

One for the building inspectorate. (2023 Update)
Unsurprisingly our new East facing double glazed porch enclosure reaches uncomfortably high temperatures during morning Sun. Of course the usual occupant can open the door but it must be rather...
11
11

Quiz question - Emergency lighting test
So a 50 minute drive to the Doctors surgery to test their emergency lighting. The new practice manager said that he could not find an up to date emergency lighting certificate. Q. My first comment...
12
12

OT: The Olympic flame
Lit with much razzmatazz and brouhaha, as always. But this time they were at pains to point out it was fuelled with hydrogen to be more 'environmentally friendly'. So why is it orange? ;-)
4
4

Left handed cheque book?
I have just opened my Nat West cheque book for the first time ever, to write a cheque and noticed the stub is on the right as you write the cheque. It seemed odd and I don't use them much, so I...
9
9

Smart meters (2023 Update)
EDF keep pestering me about installing a smart meter. I really don't want one. Is it compulsory these days?
57
57

heat pumps anyone ?
Illuminating . Confirms what I have often suspected Heat pumps explained. Roger rants about air source heat pump disadvantages, the green homes grant, types of heat pumps and asks are heat pumps worth...
60
60

Best dremel attachment for sanding and polishing the inside of a coconut shell?
The oustide of the shell can be done quite nicely with an orbital sander. The inside is quite tricky. There may be a standard dremel attachment that's ideal for the job, or maybe I'll need to make my...
17
17

advice on 'repairing' deep scratch on car bonnet
Hi all my old motor got fairly badly keyed a few years ago. The scratch went down at least to the undercoat. I have been pretty lazy about doing anything to improve the scratch, cosmetically or...
6
6

Coal bin question
I have a large victorian home, there is a coal bin and trap door outside where coal was delivered. I'm trying to figure out how much coal the bin held. There are 8 fireplaces, I'm sure it was quite a...
1
1

Blown Capacitor
Our Singer sewing machine, built in Italy about 40 years ago, has blown the capacitor across the mains input leads. From what I can see, it's a "0.022 µF @X, 250 V MP, ?? MHz, GPF 40/8(?)8(?)5/56,...
26
26

Linear Halogen Spot problem
My back garden light has failed. I'm in a bungalow and it is just under the apex but if I stand on a board on top of the porch I can lean over a bit and reach it. After a bit of a fight I got the...
5
5

OT: email ports
I am having problems sending emails but they are received okay. I have tried to contact the ISP for guidance but they are having a bad day technologically. I see my incoming port is 110 and outgoing...
26
26