Subject Author Posted Replies

Damp smell near front door.
I live in a 1976-built semi with halls adjacent and a small porch at the front, also semi-detached with neighbour. The inner front door frame is the original Boulton and Paul 33inch software frame...

Nuclear container ships?
very interesting, especially the reason for using molten salt reactors on safety grounds. And the economic case for using cheap uranium and thorium rather than expensive diesel and not needing the...
58
58

Jumping kettle
I've had a traditional, stainless steel kettle sitting happily on a portable induction hob for years. Lately the combo has started to make heavy clunking noises with the kettle bouncing like a...
23
23

Ceiling fans with low ceilings?
As my wife and I suffer from the menopause and ?manopause? respectively, we?re ?hot? sleepers and have found that keeping a fan running in the bedroom makes for a much more comfortable night?s sleep....
11
11

Multimeter temperature probe - expected time to stabilise?
Finally got around to playing with the temperature probe on my cheapo DT33C multimeter. It does seem to be taking a while to settle down. It's been in the chilly bin against the cooling plate for at...
13
13

Solar PV plus battery and standby generator
One for Adam maybe; what has to happen in the event of a power cut when a 13kVA genset automatically starts up and triggers a changeover switch between the mains meter and the consumer unit when a 4kW...
8
8

Heating System Spec for Office
Hi all OK tenuous for DIY, but I am looking to produce an upgrade spec for our office heating. Building is 17m square with ground and first floors. Each floor is majority open plan with two or three...
13
13

Adding a single socket spur
I've got a friend turning up later this month with his electric car. He's going to want to charge it overnight, so he's bringing his 13 amp charging lead. It's spurred me on (no pun intended) to fit a...
56
56

RAM question
I'm thinking about an upgrade. Is there anything to choose between Crucial and Kingston? Similar price. Thanks
19
19

[CC] IPCC Report to be released today
After having my browser checked multiple times (why??) I managed to navigate to the AR6 Synthesis Report outline. Thank goodness I'm using a VPN. This from that document gives more than a hint of...
45
45

Fuel pipe for leaf blower
Hi All, Dug my Ryobi petrol leaf blower out of the shed (again hasn't been used in years) and it has a fuel leak caused by one of the fuel lines either having become detached from the tank or has...
3
3

OT - Fibre in Water Project
A lot about this on the news this morning: <>Wouldn't it be easier to use the gas mains? I would assume the environment is less hostile than water, too. It seems to me that these would become...
34
34

Populist Claims About Stagnant Wages Are Misleading, Federal Reserve Data Show
Populist Claims About Stagnant Wages Are Misleading, Federal Reserve Data Show by Jack Elbaum, 8/6/21, Foundation For Economic Education Last week, Rep. Ro Khanna tweeted about the disparity in CEO...
2
2

UK-DIY's "Economic Experts" LOL!
Can our 'economic experts' here who predicted the pound would collapse catastrophically against the euro post-Brexit kindly explain how they were so monumentally stupid? I mean, this graph shows the...
2
2

Paint edging kit
I have never used a paint edging kit. Are they any good or should i go back to tape and roller? TIA
22
22