Subject Author Posted Replies

OT there's a gas pipe running through our drain!
We've had some problems with our drains I got a drain cleaning expert in and he sent a camera down - there's a bright yellow gas pipe going right through our drain pipe at right angles! Drain man says...
18
18

Replace partitioned hard disk with SSD
The too-frequent Win10 updates are now taking ages to install and most of the time my hard disk light is on, and not even flashing and task manager shows 100% disk activity. I suppose this could be a...
75
75

OT: Nuclear ships part II
"The UK has launched a consultation on proposed regulations for nuclear-powered ships that would enable UK-flagged vessels to use the power source and international vessels to visit its ports. "The UK...
33
33

Rechargeable AAA batteries for DECT phones
There was a discussion in this group a while ago about the best type and brand of rechargeable batteries for DECT phone handsets. I believe Eneloop was recommended as a good brand. Is there anything...
37
37

Li-ion battery charging
Whilst searching online for a replacement for a Dyson vacuum battery, I noticed that several of the sites suggested that when recharging, it is best to let the battery cool first. I haven't come...
16
16

Einstein Quotes -- Day 1229
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. --Albert Einstein It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. --Albert Einstein Peace cannot be kept by...

So, what tools would you send?
Sprog 2 is off to uni in the autumn... so what basic tool kit would you send with a student today in the hope of allowing them to be vaguely useful in the face of some hands on maintenance being...
74
74

Anyone got one of these drill drivers?
Mac Allister MSDD18-Li-2 18V 1.5Ah Li-Ion Cordless Drill Driver (873FX) Or comments on it? Order online at Screwfix.com. Compact drill driver featuring a 2-speed, all-metal gearbox with reverse...
12
12

Disposing of a mobile phone
Old mobile. Daughter used it as an alarm clock for the last year (don't ask...), stayed plugged in to power the whole time. Now it suddenly died - battery won't charge at all. Won't turn on. Tried...
28
28

OT Plusnet Mobile Rant
Very happy with my Plusnet Broadband, they have a deal on mobile that would double the data and be slightly cheaper than GiffGaff. Sounds a no brainer. Except that it turns out they do *not* support...
38
38

What is the point of 'smart' meters
I eventually had a samrt meter installed in March, only because it was the only way to get an EV charging point installed - long story. I just have had an email from SSE asking for a gas meter reading...
21
21

Ping RDS
I recently broke the bridge link on a favoured pair of reading glasses. Specsavers were initially willing to fit my old lens to new frames and took money from my wife to supply same. Shortly after, I...
11
11

Security light powered from mains adaptor instead of batteries.
Security light powered from mains adaptor instead of batteries. I wish to power an outside security light, for an elderly neighbour, from a mains adaptor instead of batteries. After adding a DC jack &...
28
28

Given that I rufuse to spend money on computing..
Is there any free way of getting deleted photos back from my C drive ? ...
15
15

Gas-tight fittings
Gentlemen, There's a system of joining under-pressure gas/air pipes which involves no PTFE tape nor sealing compound nor gasket. The sealing principle relies solely on a mushroom-shaped dome seating...
46
46