Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Mandatory speed limiters on UK cars from 2022
Must be reading the wrong mags, only just become aware of this: from 6 July 2022, and retro fitted to all cars by 2024. Initially they will have an override or on/off switch, but later on this will be...
175
175

Spectacle arm hinge....
Bust. Pin in sprung hinge gone. Any way of repairing? Other than that, I wonder what the best value high-street outlet is. Hm?
19
19

European Sleeper Trains Make a Comeback
European Sleeper Trains Make a Comeback By Adam Graham, 8/25/21, Wall St. Journal While the CO2 savings from traveling by rail instead of air can vary, depending on the source of electricity each...
9
9

OT Driver's licence arrives after 8 weeks
- and 3 weeks after the last one expired. I was reassured in this group that it was OK to carry on driving so I've not been too worried. Another Dave
9
9

What's with this waste pipework?
?usp=sharingI was walking past a house of multiple occupancy the other day, there's a 45 degree coming off the vertical part of the soil pipe opening into what looks like a hopper with a mesh in it....
7
7

Strange tool found
I found an unusual tool lying on the entrance to my driveway today. No sign of any workmen. It is T shaped with double ended hex sockets, 16mm and 19mm, and a T27 Torx bit on the long leg. 100MM OOOOO...
3
3

Bert Coules on the radio!
Just noticed Radio 4 extra has a member this morning: Plus: Nick talks to writer and dramatist Bert Coules. In this morning's The Game's Afoot: Sherlock Holmes Special
1
1

Weird Puller
Hi, I borrowed this hub puller from a 'friend' (soon to be ex-friend at this rate). Anyway, there's something not right about it. I wanted it to remove a hub which has five bolt holes in it for the...
20
20

loose Yale night latch
hi my yale night latch key plate is really use, i know the screws inside need tightening but the retaining screws are just spinning and wont come out ive tried needle tip pliers but to no avail

Consumer unit upgrade & requirement for RCD-free circuit
I'm planning to have our consumer unit modernized and upgraded (by a professional) in the near future: one big one with RCBOs to replace the Henley block and two old ones (one with a general RCD, one...
58
58

OT - digital wallet on phone not tied to credite/debit card? Limited amount?
Asking here because "You know everything, Brian!". Which should be recognisable by the demographic here. :-) I realise that the one item almost always with me is my mobile phone. For reasons. So I...
2
2

OT: Barclays Online.
Been using Barclays online for years on the PC with few problems. Decided to install it on the new phone to use it for contact less payments, etc. Any other banking I'll still use the PC. Phone is set...
43
43

Tig welding
Ihave an older unimig 175 which seem to be the same as a unimig 190. it has three knobs,current voltage and wire speed,a euro socket for main mig cable,two sockets for dc,positive and neg, and a four...
7
7

selling a poorly house in the 21st century
Hi All, My wife and brother in law are charged with selling a 200 year old ?cottage? which had some ?updating? (cavity walls, inside toilet and a few 13A sockets in the 1970s and has had GFCH and...
52
52

2 Qs about tyre pressure
(I know that exists, but I'd guess plenty of folks here know these answers.) I've got two questions on the subject of tyre pressures: (1) Can tyres lose pressure just standing there? I check our two...
18
18