Subject Author Posted Replies

Bathroom lighting circuit
Is it acceptable (to wiring regs) to T-off the loft-based lighting circuit (junction box) with T&E and take this to a pull-cord switch, switch just the L keeping the N&E intact, and then take this to...
2
2

Another (cold) water tank question
Has anyone experience of galvanised water tanks failing after years of use and corrosion. Mine must be over 42 years old and probably from 1959 when the bathroom was added, it looks very rusty inside...
20
20

OT Really - TRV, Boiler and Ancillaries Recommendations
Hi all Looking at getting a general upgrade done on our office heating system. (I queried the options on new technology last month in thread "Heating System Spec for Office"). Talking to a contact in...
17
17

OT: Road Tax
Gentlemen, Road tax disks were abolished in the UK a while ago, I believe. I'm somehow doubting the actual tax itself was abolished, though. Given that realistic assumption/foregone conclusion, how...
62
62

Another energy website
A bit more price/balance oriented <> Enact Energy Analytics Tool
3
3

Ear issues
I have had some dizziness for a few weeks and the nurse (we don't seem to have doctors anymore) didn't know why (she is obsessed with my BP but says it isn't high enough to cause dizziness). Then over...
55
55

Best equipment for DIY gutter/downpipe cleaning
I've got a blocked downpipe on a 2 storey house which causes the gutter to overflow. I don't want to use a gutter clearing firm, but I don't like going up a ladder nowadays, so I was wondering if...
12
12

Cutting a mattress up
Any tips for cutting up a king sized mattress to make it easier to transport to the tip? Tim
44
44

Periodic Inspection of Office and Server Room Electrics
Hi all Hoping that someone will be able to give me chapter and verse on the subject matter. The company that carries out minor electrical works for my employer has stated that we are due a 5 year...
7
7

Looking for meaning of "Strahl- und Schnarrprüfung"
I'm further down my translation of the OM312 engine manual and I'm a bit stuck on a section heading: "Strahl- und Schnarrprüfung". Google translate gives "Ray and snarling test", which is quite fun...
9
9

Glasses - Near and Intermediate
Most likely one for RDS I think. I'm wondering if there would be any difference optically between glasses ordered as: 1. Intermediate with an ADD of +2 and PD specified as 63 and 2. Near with an ADD...
6
6

Has anyone adjusted or repaired a recliner chair.
....ours seems to have got very slack at the frame moving joints and the foot rest is lower now.
4
4

OT: ParcelForce
"Your parcel has, unfortunately, been sorted to the wrong delivery depot. We will forward it to the correct delivery depot and it will be delivered as soon as possible."
11
11

Strange German (probably old fashioned" units for "acid density", explanation wanted
I am translating an old workshop manual for a Mercedes OM312 engine from German to English. It's fairly easy to do using Google translate (via command line and API) given that I'm moderately familiar...
3
3

G9 LEDs
I've got to get some more of these for the kitchen. The ceiling light fittings were designed for use with halogen bulbs, and I guess the LED G9 electronics in the bases get too hot over time and...
3
3