Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Windows difficulties
I run Win-10 in a VM to do software testing, which in this instance involved starting and configuring an email client under Windows, which would then communicate with a minimalist POP3/SMTP server I...
12
12

Remote control light switch?
Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it. I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa,...
57
57

TOT: shredded paper recycling
I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I would ask the question in general terms to the experts here. Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,...
49
49

Basic Radiant Electric Fire
Anyone know a source for a basic 2 bar-type radiant electric fire? Something like this: . . although not that - I had one and first a bar failed, than it melted the fixings with the remaining bar.
36
36

Strange MCB trip
RCD in the office trips. Colleague goes and unplugs the coffee machine (which is a reasonable suspect) and resets the RCD. The B32 MCB adjacent to it (which happens to control the circuit with the...
2
2

Personal Information
I was invited to fill in an online survey for Morrison's today. It warns you to not enter any personal information. The first question asks for your age. It later asks how many children you have....
19
19

Re: Unsolicited phone calls.
No. Just say, "Hang on a moment" and put the phone down on the table. They will sit there for several minutes before they realise you aren't coming back, which wastes more of their time. Andy
11
11

advise on security caneras/systems
There's a myriad of options out there. How do I chose. I want 4 cameras all wireless, recording on to a PC indoors
4
4

Use of a hammer
*IS* this the way to do it? invited!
15
15

Mini PC - Win11 - WWYD ?
Rather annoyed with myself for not snapping up a 16Gb mini PC at £169 yesterday on Amazon. Now £239. However it did tip me towards a decision in principle to replace the aging (15+ years old)...
30
30

MCB to RCBO
Folks, I had an issue with an RCD tripping because of damp in an outside socket. Of course this took out half of my power. I believe its straight forward to swap the MCBs for RCBOs but can I do this...
17
17

This doesn't happen very often
I had a shower pump installed when we had the bathroom re-done about 10 years ago -- it was a Triton pump that I'd bought for another house 10 or 15 years before that (from Homebase, I think), but...
5
5

Sofa chair vs inflatable bed.
To cut the story short, one side of my 1-bedroom flat is very cold at night and the other is quite warm because it is adjacent to the building's boilers (it is a high rise council estate). The warmer...
15
15

Dismantling AGA oil control valve ...
I hope this is the final chapter in my Aga Saga. It was the only thing I hadn't been able to do. All the online info says 'if this doesn't work *remove the oil control valve* and clean the little slit...
1
1

Switch State & Fan Voltage detect project
I would like to identify the state of 3 switches, sw 1, 2 & 3 and when power is supplied to a fan …… so 4 indicators – assume these would be LED. I.1 – I.4 Sketch is attached. is a self...
2
2