25 Year Old Warm Air Boiler

More than. Not fascinating at all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That is the CORGI sharks for you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But note that it's only 8kW so it won't do much more than a small flat or a _very_ well insulated house. Or you'd need 2 to do it.

Reply to
John Stumbles

You will find 8kW (over 27,000 BTU/hr) will do the average house with forced air. It only heats the air.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Forced air furnaces are the standard type of CH in America. Any USians reading this thread must think some of the comments very strange.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Perhaps they do it better than us. The British perception is of nasty

1960s el-cheapo systems with a central duct pushing the heat into the room at just the wrong place (especially in an era when draughty single glazed windows were the norm) and noisy fans that shut off on and on very noticeable.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

The USains also tend to have 'Central Air' .... that's air-conditioning utilising the same ducting and outlets as the Warm Air heating system. If one lives in a climate that freezes the dangly bits off in the winter and boils 'em off in the Summer .. a combined system makes sense, particularly if the installation is done in the build stage.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

By a long way. Although updating an exiting system is easy enough in the UK. New modern unit and soundproof the cupboard.

In summer they cool houses by just circulating air. Makes a big difference.

The comment made by people about them in the UK is laughable and really shows their ignorance.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

When heat recovery and vent is incorporated these systems are what it is all about.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I don't know if they are still available, but some houses near here were built with a conventional boiler feeding a heat exchanger with a variable speed fan, to give ducted warm air. They seemed to work well, but the originals will be near 30 years old now. Fitting just the heat exchanger and a new boiler where appropriate would probably work well, if you could (unlikely) find someone to fit it.

I replaced my (fully) dry system 15 years ago for a fully wet system. Running costs were much reduced, but the dry system had been extended, and as a result, wasn't particularly efficient.

Reply to
<me9

The makers will give approved fitters.

Forced air system are cheaper to run. The room temperature can be lowered as cold spots[pots are eliminated.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But borne out of experience with UK installations - unlike your pedantic views.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since the heat input is in fact from a smaller area than a rad system, the same effect can be had as easily by using circulating fans in any room with radiators.

I'm surprised that as a claimed heating engineer you didn't know this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off you are silly, know nothing and a complete plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:10:32 -0000 someone who may be "Doctor Drivel" wrote this:-

Which is why such systems were removed and replaced with wet systems. Not.

A heat emitter that is smaller than a radiator and emits no radiated heat worth mentioning is going to eliminate cold spots. Fascinating.

While there are some advantages to warm air heating all the ones that have been offered so far have been bogus.

Reply to
David Hansen

No. They are mainly removed because of ignorance. Also it is easy to put a humidifier in a forced air system. Try that with rads.

You really have not a clue. The fan circulates the heat to all corners of the room. Drafts are eliminated because of positive pressure.

As I say, you really have no clue at all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:53:54 -0000 someone who may be "Doctor Drivel" wrote this:-

Ah, proof by assertion.

I can't think of any reason to increase the humidity in a house in the UK. Can you?

Ah, proof by assertion.

That is not even the case in some theoretical world.

One can do reasonably well with proper design, but even so areas of largely stagnant air will be present, unless the room has lots of supply and extract points which is unlikely in a house. In the typical house room with one supply and one extract point there will be largely stagnant areas.

Positive pressure, for various reasons something which I suspect I have rather more of a clue about than most, blows air out of the cracks in the building. Unless the building is underground or in an extremely exposed location this will increase heat losses and hence the running costs. Remember that we are talking about a house, not some conceptual building.

Note also that if you were correct in saying that all corners of the room are heated equally then that will also increase heat losses.

Positive pressure does have some advantages if it is kept running continuously, but one has to remember that these are gained at the expense of running fans continuously.

Reply to
David Hansen

No. By knowing far more than you.

Yes, to get the humidity up.

No. By knowing far more than you.

Dain: The fan circulates the heat to all corners of the room.

Again: You really have not a clue.

You design so no dead spaces.

Most of the time it is negative. As it counters air trying to get in.

Nope.

Fan are not expensive to run.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

£850 + VAT and £224 + VAT for the cleanair filter (optional) You will get around 20% off that.

Not bad. OK you will need some ducting and grills and registers. Have a high flow combi that heats this unit and overall not a bad price at all. And no rads

Reply to
Doctor Drivel