24" monitor.

I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Work use iiyama prolite B2409HDS. Cheap, works - 1920x1080. HDMI is better than VGA, but I'm still using the VGA.

Reply to
Clive George

I've heard a number of people recommend Dell.

Reply to
Huge

Wife has a Dell which has done well but it wasn't a cheap one. Uses HDMI for her home PC and VGA for office laptop when she works from home. Makes it very easy to switch between the 2.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Samsung and LG both have some reasonable offerings. Note that if you run a LCD at anything other than its native resolution it will not look as crisp as it should. You are better off using the "right" resolution and then upping the font sizes etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Dave Plowman (News)" :

If 23" would do, a recent PC Pro review raved about the ViewSonic VP2365wb at about £200. "At this price, a stunning deal".

I've got two Dell 24" widescreens (which cost a lot more than that, it has to be said) and they're both excellent.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Likewise - a combined tv/monitor from Dell, connected to the base unit via HDMI - results have a perfect crispness to them.

Reply to
dom

I have both an iiyama ProLite E2407HDs and a Samsung SyncMaster B2430 here.

Both are good.

The samsung is a recent purchase, for the kid's PC, and it was cheap and seems to be good. ( But you need to set the mode to 'PC' not 'AV' in the menus to prevent it doing odd scaling / overscanning which is horrible. I had to fight with under-scanning in the ATI driver AND over-scanning on the monitor to finally get proper 1:1 pixel mapping at

1920x1080. )
Reply to
Ron Lowe

Can't answer on price, but I find Samsung a generally safe bet for a reliable device with good clarity and nice colours. Ditto Dell.

My second bet would probably be a NEC but I've not had one for a while, so YMMV.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've got an LG here (M327WD) which I'm very happy with.

This one is a combine monitor/TV 1920x1080 so has plenty of inputs.

It was about £200 about 2.5 years ago, so presumably a bit cheaper now (and probably a different model)

Reply to
chris French

The existing 19" is a Viewsonic bought for not a lot from I think CPC and I've no complaints. So thanks - I'll look at that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Dell monitors I have seen have been pretty good although I wouldn't buy anything else from them.

Philips used to be good but I haven't seen any recent ones to be sure now.

I would avoid the really cheap ones such as HannsG. We have several of those at work.

Reply to
Mark

I refuse to buy anything Philips after my last TV from them developed a PS fault just outside warranty. And the costs of the ICs required to fix it were just plain profiteering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I recently got a Samsung Flatron 23" E2360 LED (backlit) one. It is 1920x

1080 and vewry crisp.I'm very pleased with it. I was very doubtful of WS, but it enables you to spread out sideways on the screen, displaying things side by side which previously were in overlapping windows.

Works with my RiscPC too, but that's not working ATM but works well with VRPC.

Reply to
<me9

^^^^^^^^ Doh!!! must get new specs!!! it's an LG. Samsung is the TV we didn't get after reading reports that their monitors spuriously switch on or off when RF is about.

Reply to
<me9

I would guess that all manufacturers overcharge for spares.

Reply to
Mark

I vote for Samsung as well.

Not sure what mine is..22" IIRC - but its clean and crisp when driven at the right pixel level. (1680x1080)

Mostly I prefer depth, but width is useful as you can get stuff side-by-side.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't answer your question but just a rant against bloody stupid website designers who obviously have widescreen monitors and who, just as obviously, think the rest of the world has them too. I'm piggin' fed up of having to scroll horizontally as well as vertically. Grrr!!!

Rant over, carry on :-)

Reply to
John

Especially since HTML was not originally designed to go with fixed resolutions.

Reply to
Mark