Subject Author Posted Replies

Improving EPC rating
I want to improve the EPC rating of a flat from D to C (or better, but I don't think I can achieve B). I have a current EPC certificate from 2013 that says: Current: 62 (D), Potential: 62 (D) and a...
10
10

Browser query
One for the cognoscentii:-) Filling a tax return recently.. I ticked the box for *remember me* which I assumed offered 5 days of simple log ins. Not so! Re-reading the notes later I saw HMRC recommend...
5
5

Butyl rubber
I have in mind to use an off-cut of butyl rubber pond-liner to seal a leaking wildlife pond on a local nature reserve. But I am conscious of the need to reduce or eliminate unnecessary plastic being...
16
16

Leaking WC to Soil pipe Tee joint - repair advice sought
Hi All we've had an 'off' smell in the bathroom recently, which I have managed to track down. There is a leak in the joint where the WC pipe joins what I think is a cast iron 'tee' off the soil pipe....
10
10

For the man who buys Russ Andrews Hifi components
  https://www.newandlingwood.com/gold-leaves-lined-dressing-gown... https://www.newandlingwood.com/gold-leaves-lined-dressing-gown... https://www.newandlingwood.com/gold-leaves-lined-dressing-gown......
22
22

Running gutter downpipe horizontally over a felt flat roof.
as above. I need to divert a gutter downpipe over about 5m of a felt flat roof into a different drain. My best guess would be to have downpipe clips fixed to ply pads that just sit on the felt roof....
13
13

[OT] Amazon and Fire Tablet
I had just ordered a mains lead for our TV. The packers (or me) had packec it separately from the TV 9 months ago. The TV went up on the bracket yesterday. After crawling around our loft looking in...
14
14

Well OT - DIY chips (as in potatoes cut up into chunks and fried)
Occasionally I weaken and have some fried potatoes (commonly known as chips in the UK). I have been buying frozen chips, but usually they have extra stuff on them so that they also work as oven chips....
39
39

Exploding turbines (was : Building bookshelves etc)
Links here to photos and diagrams of what happens when TA sets fail. The Hinkley Point A one in 1969 was 87MW. Indeed. Marine diesels (also much used with emergency generators) are typically around 1...

OT: UPS delivery
I had a package being delivered by UPS, and their tracking site said that it was due between 11:00 and 15:00 Tuesday. Today, Monday, I spent some time doing chores, including working in the garden....
22
22

Central Heating Mystery
We had a new Ideal Logic Heat 18 Boiler installed some weeks ago. (To replace a Bosh Greenstar 18 ). After installation of this new Ideal it caused the pump upstairs in the water cylinder cupboard to...
12
12

Seal for vinyl tiles
Can anyone recommend a suitable seal to paint on top of some vinyl tiles, please?
5
5

Sealing a damp Floor
An acquaintance has asked me about a problem with their conservatory floor. It seems to get damp in wet weather, I suspect the membrane has failed. The floor seems to be some kind of stone tiles. They...
9
9

Brick Matching for planners
Brick sizes: Approved Plans said "Proposed wall to be faced with brick to match existing" Existing bricks are hundred year old imperial sizes, Can I use modern metric bricks of a similar colour and...
15
15

About All Those Pandemic Billionaires
About All Those Pandemic Billionaires By The Editorial Board, 12/8/21, Wall St. Journal Christmas came early this year for economic progressives with the publication Tuesday of a fat report on global...