Subject Author Posted Replies

LED lights, watts, lumens etc.
Following on from previous thread, one option seems to be a bedside LED reading light. For example <>The first few lights I looked at were rated at 10W and ~1,000 lumen. This is rated at 11W and...
6
6

replacing fluorescent tube with LED
In our kitchen we've got two 58 watt 5 foot (1500 mm) fluorescent tubes, one of which is showing signs of age. I might replace them with LED equivalents, as with current electricity prices, the...
40
40

Junk?
Salvaging saleable copper (transformer) from a scrap metre wide printer dumped by one of my tenants, I came across 3 off 5 volt stepper motors. I think it was from an American made m/c adapted for the...

New Windows 7 install
Hope all I can still see here (not filtered out) are keeping well. Just catching up after time off doing never ending D.I.Y. projects. I had/have a 10 year old Samsung "all in one" P.C. like a huge...
7
7

Email host
My website is currently hosted by nativespace. After this year I will not need it but i would like to hang on the emaiul addresses linked to the same address. If anyone knows how I can achieve that at...
9
9

Google Groups ending 22 Feb 2024
Google Groups ending support for Usenet If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these groups is ending soon. What’s changing? Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer...
53
53

Unusual Failure of WC Soil Pipe
A flexible soil pipe fitted behind a WC has suddenly developed unusual holes in it which looks like its caused by rats but that seems impossible as its in a closed compartment. See pic link; 've...
12
12

Cordless tools :)

WhatsApp - continuity of account - messages? What messages??.
There has been a lot of chuntering about not being able to lose WhatsApp messages however hard you try. However I am not 100% convinced. If you start with WhatsApp on a phone, you can then change SIM...
10
10

Ratcliffe coal
I've been past Ratcliffe power station several times recently, it often used to be the case that when it was used, it was "off" by about 9am (still vapour from the cooling towers, but nothing from the...
75
75

Sod’s Law fully implemented
Today I was finishing off soldering some of the first fix piping. Yesterday I had completed the pipe work up to a lever operated isolator and had pressurised that part of the pipework to flush and...
1
1

How long can flux be left in pipes before flushing
I have just completed the first fix plumbing for our digital shower and as recommended by Mira have flushed the inlet pipes before final connection to the mixer. This has left the outlet pipes...
5
5

Roman concrete
I wonder how easy this would be to knock up as a hobbyist ... The durability of Roman concrete, which has allowed structures such as the Pantheon in Rome to remain standing for nearly 2,000 years, has...
30
30

Heating/DHW programmer wiring
I've changed an ancient Centaur Plus 27 programmer for a Drayton Wiser and I *think* I might have got the lives on the programmer (labelled 3 and 4) swapped over as the DHW is not turning on. If I...
2
2

Another kettle question
I discovered some minor chips on my kettle. I also discovered that the kettle is the same colour as my car. I used a car touch-up paint pen to repair the kettle. Is this inspirational or likely to end...
4
4