22mm to 15mm compression reducer

I'm installing an automatic air vent in the 22mm feed pipe to a shower pump. The vent uses a 1/2" to 15mm connection. I was told the neatest way would be to use a 22-15mm reducer in the 22mm equal tee, off which is the vent.

I've never used these before so some advise would be appreciated. I can see that it replaces the 22 mm olive, but I'm not sure which way up it should be. The obvious way has the reducer flush with the back edge of the 22mm nut when assembled, the other has it sticking proud about 5-8mm.

My other question is how is the seal made with the 15mm pipe which inserts into the reducer. Does the reducer act as an olive and compress onto the pipe. This seems unlikely because it looks quite solid brass not capable of being crushed upto the 15mm pipe.

thanks

Reply to
Justin

Don't really know - never used a reducer. What's wrong with a 22x22x15 tee? Much neater!

Reply to
Set Square

There are two styles (at least) of reducer. One is in three parts with two brass parts which these can only be instered the right way, they clamp doen on a bog standard 15mm olive.

The other is a single brass peice which again can only be fitted the right way and has a (very much) thinner section in the middle whcih nips the pipe and makes a seal.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

This is it. When its flush you cant see the reducer, it completely flush with the back of the nut, so it just as tidy as a 22x22x15 tee, plus I don't have to un-assemble the existing joint.

Reply to
Justin