22mm Pipe cutter OK on 3/4" pipe?

Would the Screwfix 22mm pipe cutter 12380 work on 3/4" pipe?

I need to insert a service valve on a pipe with very limited access either side, so a wheel cutter without a handle (or electric jigsaw) seem to be the only options.

Reply to
LSR

In article , LSR writes

4 inch angle grinder?, can do that sort of thing very well if you go slowly with it....
Reply to
tony sayer

It's probably ok - it's designed for 22mm pipe, but 3/4" pipe is only

*slightly* smaller.

This one

would definitely work as long as you've got a bit of space (doesn't need much) to move the ratchet arm back and forth. It's much easier to use, too, because of having much more leverage.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Cheers - that should do (as long as it's less than about 150 degrees or so between clicks).

Reply to
LSR

I've used a 22mm cutter on a 3/3" pipe, it worked fine. Didn't bite hard into the pipe immediately but after a few spins it scored into the pipe and then cut. Made quite neat cut actually.

Jerry

Reply to
PSOE

======================================== Mine is well-used so it struggles to give a clean cut on 22mm. I would doubt if it would work on 3/4" so the ratchet type (also from Screwfix) is a better bet:

you want something cheaper these two alternatives work reasonably well and they're widely available from local stores:

you checked that you'll have enough room get your new valve on to the pipework?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I expect so.

I have this one

on old 3/4 pipe fine!

You will need to get some 3/4 olives for your service valve, assuming it's a

22mm valve.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

In article , Sparks writes

I've had variable results using my Kopex pipeslice version of the same tool on 3/4", worked fine on the spare bit of 3/4" I had lying around but was an absolute b'trd on the tight locations I really wanted to use it on.

I ended up using a similar one to this:

?id=21946which is a fair but cheaper than the ratchet number.

Although 3/4" is has only slightly smaller o/d it is thicker too so the cutter has to go quite a bit deeper to cut right through.

Reply to
fred

Yes, just, but it will take many more turns but the turns will be easier.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Job done - thanks to all. I had already read that 3/4" olives can be used in 22mm fittings; at first I thought I'd need to solder converters to 22mm pipe.

It would be really useful to have an FAQ entry on how to work on old 1/2" and 3/4" plumbing; ie what 15mm and 22mm compression, pushfit and solder joints can be used on imperial pipe.

Reply to
LSR