22mm anodised thin ali tube, bend or break?

I need to put 2 slow sets in said tube (shower rail) e.g, 1st set bends 3" from straight, 2nd set bends back to straight over maybe 8". Any chance d'you think? TIA.

Reply to
brass monkey

erm pass - what are the issues to the unitiated?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Worth a try. Hard anodising is the stuff that makes thin sections very crack prone when strained.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Knowing the properties of various types of aluminium, I would say your chances are slim. Have you got an off cut that you could try bending in a hole through a 3 inch thick piece of wood that has a good radius on the bending side? Try it and see, by bending it over the length you mention above.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well, it doesn't break although it kinks a fair bit. I won't notice after a few days ;) I actually offset it over far less than 8". 8" may have been kinkless.

Reply to
brass monkey

Did you use a bending spring?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'd fill it with fine sand and put a tight fitting cork in both ends. Tape over any holes in the body with gaffer tape.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's 22mm use a pipe bender... Not sure how the anodising would standup to being forced into the guides though, bit of paper to reduce scratching?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One similar to this -

brass monkey

But is it the same 22mm as copper? It needs to be a pretty good fit to the former.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)