Subject Author Posted Replies

Ultra High Voltage DC Power Transmission.
Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region has become one of the major regions taking the lead in China's renewable energy push, thanks to long-distance, large-capacity and low-loss...
80
80

Stuck brass compression fittings
I'm trying to change a washbasin mixer tap but can't undo the compression fittings using 2 spanners. Any useful suggestions for freeing them? Would heating them up with a hot air 'gun' help? Or...
29
29

Which Wago
I am about to re-route a cable which currently goes to a socket behind a wardrobe. It means connecting to two old round junction boxes under the floor. My intention is to replace the junction boxes...
10
10

Screwfix SWA cleats
Someone help me out. I cannot find them Size 6.
5
5

OT Car insurance rise?
I just looked at my elderly neighbour's car insurance renewal, and they tried to raise the price from £260 to £315, I'll have a word with them anyway, and need to remove his deceased wife from it,...
265
265

Motion of a cat
Consider a cat jogging at 5mph along the flat roof of a skyscraper. The cat is too stupid to realise it's reaching the edge, and falls off. Describe in detail the acceleration, rotation, and fear...
141
141

Hot water tank/airing cupboard
We live in a 1930's ex council house and our hot water tank is in the master bedroom. It's currently hiding behind sliding doors that were DIY'd by the previous occupants. However, we want to remove...

Switch from mains gas to LPG
With the cost of gas edging up, I found myself wondering about the practicalities and issues around buying/renting a couple of 47Kg propane cylinders with changeover valve and using that as my gas...
25
25

Bi-Fold doors
My 50-year old bungalow is gradually being updated. Part of it is to replace a dilapidate unusable garage with an extension. The architect surprised me when he said that we had to have a rear door to...
22
22

Wolseley Stock shifting.
Hi All, I am wanting to purchase a discontinued bath panel. Wolseley might have what I want in stock (depending whether what they have is left hand or right hand (P shaped bath), but only in distant...
13
13

No heat this morning
Woke up to find no hot water or central heating. The night before I jhad gone around venting every radiator just before the system was due to turn off. Could that have caused it? Anyway, our fabulous...
15
15

DPC at floor level
On a kitchen extension I'm planning is it best to have DPC at floor level and engineering bricks below it? [george]
1
1

What is this plug called
Anybody know what these plugs are called ? Were often used on car radios in days gone by. plug | argonanut | Flickr
11
11

CTEK charger
I have a useful CTEK MXS5 smart charger Great for leaving batteries on charge at all timed as it gives correct float charger. I managed to pull wires out of teh 2 pole plug ..... into which you plug...
8
8

Jug for Krups coffee machine
Does anyone want a jug for a Krups 176A coffee machine? You are welcome to the machine as well, for parts or repair as it is leaking. Not looking for any money: instead a charitable donation at your...
1
1