Subject Author Posted Replies

[VOT] Argument about astrology
Yesterday my brother-in-law and I agreed to differ over the suject. He is a retired scientist and beieves that science has proved that astrology is a load of rubbish. I probably would have been...
27
27

Wainscot
I am about to glue some grooved MDF sheet to an emulshed plaster board wall. 6mm primed stuff from Wickes. Any gotchas I should be aware of?
13
13

10 meter power cable with broken earth strand.
10 meter power cable with broken earth strand. Is there anyway to find where the break has happened inside the cable? Thanks
90
90

Light Switch Repeater
We have an outside light, on the house, with a switch in the hallway on the downstairs lighting circuit. We also have a light on the garage with a switch in the garage on the garage circuit. I would...
11
11

A bit OT: car fuel consumption.
Just filled up the Jazz Hybrid, normally it reports "Range 421 miles" at this point, but today it just offered 385.I wondered if my last tank was the first with E10, so that I'm starting to see the...
48
48

OTish: Flue Gas Temperatures
One from a pal who's too lazy to post for himself ;-) A 128 litre electric-to-gas pottery kiln conversion using a down draft method and an internal flue, and an exit port in the lid. Cone 10 firing,...
3
3

Window treatment to make them easier to clean?
A friend of mine lives in a second floor flat in a seaside location. Window cleaners come every month and attempt to clean the windows using a long pole with a brush and water supply on it but the...
7
7

Facebook
If you use Facebook check out "Old Codgers DIY shed" group. I believe its a great improvement on the now defunct "Codgers DIY group" group. Mike
17
17

Long posts and YouTube links without description
I'd just like to report that I never open links to YouTube videos if the poster hasn't given a description of its content. Or ever bother reading more than the first line or two of posts with text...
23
23

Silicon on car windows
I have taken to using a silicon glass coating product marketed specifically for the purpose of putting on car windscreens. I put this on the car windscreen regularly once in a while. What i like about...
13
13

[OT] 'Surge Pricing' proposed for consumer electricity prices
According to BBC R4's Today programme this morning, Octopus energy and two other suppliers are proposing 'surge pricing' for consumers, to be actioned via smart meters, by 2025, They say you won't be...
46
46

Auto garage door openng/closing
I'm thinking of having a radio operating system fitted to my existing garage door. Has anyone any horror stories concerning such? Peter
16
16

Automatic Curtain openers and closers
Yesterdays Money section in the Metro referred to this product for automatically opening and closing curtains to 'save money'. looks like it slots inside the plastic track and the rubbery wheel in the...
5
5

Recommendation wanted for a key safe
Mr Google has been helpful and has convinced me that my current (and very commonly used) Masterlock key safe is not secure. The Supra C500 is, apparently, "police approved" but the reviews are not...
22
22

Another excuse for more failures:-)
Proper O level maths exam.. I failed at question 1. But grade inflation caused by two years of teacher-assessed grades will not continue, exam boards say. Emaths: Free resources for mathematics...
198
198