Subject Author Posted Replies

How hard can it be?
Bought a new TV. Old one had the inputs etc in a recess pointing down. New one - not a big choice in the size I wanted - has them to the side pointing outwards. Exactly the wrong direction the cables...
24
24

Space saver wheel help...
My wife replaced her car last week - a Hyundai i10, 2014. It had 14" wheels, and came with no spare tyre, so she purchased a space saver one from the dealer when she bought the car. As it has never...
24
24

Energy, broadband
Landline gone down so with FTTC no broadband, had to do a Teams call on 4g phone. I was astonished to find the audio quality was far better than a typical 4g call to the phone in the same room in the...
3
3

Shark vacuum and 'right to repair'! Plus bonus ebay rant.
I bought a Shark mains vacuum some time ago, liked it, bought another.... now between home and work we have 2 mains powered and 2 cordless. One of the cordless wasn't sucking and on inspection the...
29
29

OT: petrol pumps
I am sure we have all tried to fill the tank to a round figure, only to find that the amount has over-run by a penny or two. Is this because it is too difficult to dispense fuel accurately or does the...
32
32

Phones again
Dear oh dear. With our 36-hour power outage and an over 3-day Internet outage, we relied on our POTS phone to keep in touch. But it's not so convenient to lose access to our distributed phone set-up...
64
64

Internal Doors
I am shortly going to have to buy 9 internal doors to replace the 50 year-old cardboard honeycomb-centred ones. I want 6-panel white prefinished colonial style solid doors. The dimensions of the...
26
26

rufford ford
It's that time of year again ... <>The ducks are safe, but even a few landrovers come unstuck this time. •All footage was recorded by myself at Rufford Mill Ford, North Nottinghamshire. •Tiktok:...
16
16

Bifold garage doors
I have a 7 section (3 + 4) wooden bifold garage door running on Henderson track. The doors are 1969 vintage and are past their sell-by date. My ideal would be to replace the wooden sections with UPVC...
8
8

Wood fixed to concrete
Replacing wood fence panels that fell apart very quickly (due to rubbish horizontal battens) i'm now wishing to use metal mesh panels. There are already good concrete vertical posts in place. So to...
4
4

Wolf Awareness Week: Fascinating wolf facts
Wolf Awareness Week: Fascinating wolf facts Oct. 19, 2010 Yesterday, we showed you where wolves are in the United States and the threats they?re facing. But no matter if we?re talking about red wolves...

Natural Enemies keep a Species strong!
"The caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong" -- Keewatin Inuit Proverb -------------- Most healthy ungulates are fast enough to outrun a pack of wolves. In fact,...

Hank the Tank, a 500-Pound Bear, Ransacks a California Community
Hank the Tank, a 500-Pound Bear, Ransacks a California Community By Alyssa Lukpat, Feb. 20, 2022, NYT Since the summer, a black bear known as Hank the Tank has made a 500-pound nuisance of himself in...

Breaking slate slabs
Assembling the bits for my wildlife pond project, I have bought a load of slate to edge the pond. <>Described as "Rustic Flat Slate Rockery Pieces", they look pretty good, and are about 50 mm thick....
8
8

Design failure at a leisure centre
Brian at the bottom of this post are links to two photos. The first photo shows a hair drier that sits in a metal hoop in a female changing rooms at a leisure centre. The air drier aims downwards when...
13
13