Subject Author Posted Replies

Yet another boiler...
My boiler, a Vaillant Ecomax 824E, is making a horrible noise. Taking off the cover confirms that it's the pump. The boiler still fires and the temperature shoots up to way past internal 'stat in a...
37
37

lock nuts
when you take rear hubs off do you really have to fit new nylon lock nuts?.....
7
7

HP laserjet on Windows 98
I have an HP Laserjet 1200 which has been working for years on a Windows 98 machine, connected by USB to dot4_100 port (I'm fairly sure). Something happened and that port is no longer there. I...
17
17

Parcel box - recommendations?
I've been "directed" to find a parcel box that can be fitted on a fence so that couriers and post'ies can drop parcels and letters into it. I thought, briefly, about making one but that seems a lot of...
9
9

USB outlets, phone chargers and vampire appliances
I saw a thing in the guardian about wasted power from appliances on standby. It said that a phone charger left plugged in is still drawing a little power because it's a transformer. Obv the amount is...
32
32

Chimney Flashing
When I bought my current house 2 or 3 months ago (it's 40 years old) the surveyor said the chimney needed re-pointing. The fifth builder I spoke to actually turned up and said the pointing is fine (I...
16
16

Cement - Mastercrete or General Purpose ? Plasticiser
General Purpose cement is £5.59, Mastercrete is £6.49 it worth paying the extra? Should I add plasticiser or not? I am building an extension, single storey but 5 meters high where there will be...
2
2

New unvented cylinder - recs?
About to fork out to get a new unvented fitted. Last time I did a cylinder I did it all myself, but I have too many DIY projects on and not enough time. What would people recommend? There will be a...
5
5

The Worldwatch Institute --- Origins and demise
The Worldwatch Institute was a globally focused environmental research organization based in Washington, D.C., founded by Lester R. Brown. Worldwatch was named as one of the top ten sustainable...

My laser level isnt level
My laser level isnt level Its a 360°Rotary 3D 12 Lines Green Laser Level Self Leveling Cross Measure Tool 3D-12 I think there is a pendulum in it which detects level, but its about 10 degrees wrong....
10
10

Wall to wardrobe gap
How best to fill a gap (about three inches) between the side of a newly fitted Ikea wardrobe and the wall? TIA
26
26

Real DIY - Man digs underground tunnel from his house to shed so he can avoid the rain
Man digs underground tunnel from his house to shed so he can avoid the rain An inventor has spent two years digging a three metre deep, 12 metre long tunnel under his garden just so he won?t get wet...
19
19

Recommendations wanted for mole grips
A recent "incident" when welding has led to the demise of my trusty, and ancient, mole wrench. Can anyone recommend a good quality replacement? I thought Knipex, Stanley and Irwin would be OK but the...
17
17

Vapour barrier
I have a outhouse which was previously, 40 years ago, an outside toilet. Currently it has a concrete tiled roof with (breathable) membrane underneath the tiles. Internally the roof joists and the...
6
6

Connecting the new light switch
This is a single switch for a single ceiling light, so just one cable of two wires and an earth goes in the back. The old switch has 3 terminals 1, 2 and Common. The new switch has 4 terminals L&N...
17
17