20 Amp mains supply

For the instalation of air condition in my home, Global Cooling require

a mains supply of 1 x 20 ampere to the external condensing unit

What does this 20amp supply consist of and how is it installed?

Where is it attached to the mains of the rest of the house?

Is there not a 13amp limit in most ring circuits?

Thanks,

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

In article , asalcedo writes

We had the same installed here some 10 years ago and all we did then was to run a lump of 2.5 T&E from the mains board consumer unit via a fuse to a surface wall outlet and the Aircon company took it all from there.

FWIW that was to the inside near the indoor unit the outdoor unit what does all the work was just the other side of the wall and they took whatever cables they wanted outside via a rotary isolator switch.

Reply to
tony sayer

You would require a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit, on a 20A MCB to a 20A double pole switch adjacent to the inside A/C unit.

I'm not sure, but it's possible the pipes between the inside and outside A/C units would be treated as incoming services and also require main equipotential bonding back to the main earthing terminal.

There's a 13A limit to individual points on a ring circuit; the circuit itself is 32A.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I would have thought theyd put it in as part of the job. It'll just be a 1.5 or 4mm^2 cable from the consumer unit or fusebox.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They want to install, or you to install, a 20A MCB in your consumer unit, and run a cable from there to the external unit. The part of the run that is outside should be done in exterior rated cable like hi-tuff as this is suitable for outdoor use.

You will need a double pole isolator switch outside (Here is an example of a triple pole one - this would be fine to use)

near this unit, so you can probably install this isolator on the wall and run the exterior grade cable from this to the condenser, then you can use the cheaper twin and earth "indoor" cable through the house back to your consumer unit.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

At extra cost. Also, as most aircon people serve businesses, many may not be part-P'ed up

Reply to
Mike Harrison