2 way light switch.

Is it possible to have a 2 way light switch system with a dimmer at either end. i.e. would it be possible to adjust the brightness from low to high at each switch.

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

I have not found such.

Possibly using a radio controlled dimmer operated by two radio transmitters...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would be fairly easy to have a circuit with two dimmers, and a two way switch at each end toggling which dimmer was the active one. Lots of wire though, and of course you'd have to flick the switch to make your end active.

In practice you'd want to have some sort of up/down control at each end, rather than a conventional dimmer where the position of the knob determines the light output. The up/down could be in the form of a wheel (like some radios have) if you prefer the rotary control. Then you need either wireless or some control wires going from the switches to the actual dimmer box. It might be possible/amusing to convert an existing rotary dimmer switch with a motor - similar to the motorised volume knobs on some amplifiers. If you made that sensibly, you could then have a normal dimmer switch at one end, and an up/down switch at the other.

There's probably less d-i-y ways of doing it though :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I am sure I have seen a (two way) dimmer at one end and a standard two way switch at the other. Not quite what you want but probably the simplest way. Otherwise you get into the realms of home automation or you could use a radio controlled switch whoch would let you dim from anywhere via the remote control; didn't argos used to sell one?

Reply to
nospam

Yup, you need a master slave dimmer pair:

John Rumm

Effectively yes by using one dimmer which is controlled from more than one place - so a 'special'. I've seen them but can't remember who makes them. Home Automation might be a good place to start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Ill check it out!

Matthew