2 post car lift fitting

Most 2 post car lifts come with no or minimal load spreader plates.

How does this work in practice without pulling bolts out of, or fracturing, the concrete raft they're bolted into?

Reply to
Fredxxx

My local 1 man band mechanic has had one of these and no signs of problems. He is in an industrial unit which probably has a properly laid thick slab and the lift would have been been professionally installed.

In a small workshop, the 2 posters are so much more versatile that a four poster and allow access to virtually all part of the vehicle. Just remember to position the posts so the necessary doors open!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Perhaps I don't have the same confidence, whether professionally installed or otherwise!

That would be a good idea!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Thick concrete.

One manufacturer states an absolute minimum of 6" thickness, another 9" and reinforcement.

I'll be getting one from Automotech in the NY, to go in the newly completed garage - with about 7"+ of concrete in that bit of the floor.

Reply to
Adrian

Seven years ago I helped my neighbour at my last place collect and install a two post lift. His slab was only 4" as far as I could tell drilling test holes. Used chemical anchors and as far as I know he is still using it. Ended up rigging a 240 single to 415 three phase inverter for him as the motor was rather special.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There have been a number of failures of cheap 2 post lifts due to the steel not being the correct thickness or hardness.

Reply to
Capitol

Any with bolts being pulled out of the floor?

I have seen some with load spreader rectangular box section either side of the feet and wondering if these might improve stability?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Capitol

My mate braced his 2 poster to the workshop roof trusses as the flooring wasn't very thick concrete. Seems to be ok after a couple of years use.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I don't feel that is a practical solution in my case.

Unfortunately I don't have enough space for a 4 poster either.

Reply to
Fredxxx

lethal, unless you know exactly how to lift a car properly.

Guy who used to service our garage equipment lost a friend to a 2 post lift. He was a foreman, and went to check an apprentice had tightened the sump plug, and pulled the car onto himself :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I can see the effects as per:

I'm left wondering if I should just cut a 1 m2 hole 1 m deep for each post and just fill with concrete!

Shame a 4 poster doesn't suit the space I have.

Also looked at scissor style lifts but they have limited lift and expensive for what they are.

Reply to
Fredxxx