2-part thing to neaten a hole through a hollow wall?

This is one of those "does it exist & if so, what's it called?" posts.

I want to stick a cupboard up on a hollow wall (plasterboard on one side of the studs, lath & plaster on the other, I think), make a hole through the wall, & pass some power leads (with plugs) and network cables through it. Ideally, I'd like to cut a circular or square hole, something like 75 to 100 cm wide, on both sides of the wall and stick a two-part thing in it to neaten it. I imagine something ought to exist that comes in two halves that overlap/nest in the middle for this purpose.

Does it exist & if so, what's it called? ;-)

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Funk
2 x 80mm diameter desk tidy /cable access ports glued in place might do it. If the wall is very thick a short length of plastic pipe to bridge the gap might be necessary
Reply to
fred

That's a very big hole. I hope you meant mm.

If you make a suitable hole right through the wall you don't need a tube in two halves; just use one piece cut to the right length. A short piece of plastic drainpipe would work. Or the duct meant for use when people put extractor fans through walls.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

When I needed to do that, I used a bit of kitchen extractor ducting through the wall, with a couple of wall plates from the same range to finish the ends.

Reply to
Nightjar

If you did not want to push the plugs through, could you not make do with a much smaller hole? Use an extension lead, and plug into that?

Reply to
GB

Good gravy, yes.

Hmm, extractor fan parts might be good.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I did exactly this with a bit of 40mm wastepipe, same sized holesaw and a tube of caulk. Takes IEC/kettle connectors quite happily. If the ends had been visible I'd have stuck a brush plate over each (

).

Reply to
Scott M

Yes but its the way the plaster splits and crumbes at the edges. There used to be a gadget that shop fitters and those office partition builders used to use like this, but like others, I have no idea what it was called, but as most interior walls of this sort were very thin, I'd imagine itt would be too short. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Would it not be much neater to fit a socket in the wall?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On further consideration, I think I'm only going to put one thing (the WAP) there, so I just need a small hole to pass a network cable and the small DC plug coming from the wall wart through the wall. I might use one of those "brush" faceplates, probably with a back box, a short piece of flexible conduit, & some kind of caulk around the conduit on the other side (which will be inside a wardrobe).

Reply to
Adam Funk