2 gang switch in double box

Hello,

I have a 4 gang switch configured only with 2 lighting circuits (I guess 2 have been recovered / redundent over the years). To avail my frustration of constantly pressing a dud switch (only 2 of them work remember), I want to replace the 4 gang to a 2 gang....... only I cannot find a 2 gang switch plate. Does one exist? I dont really want to dig out and replace the double box with a single if I can help it.

Thanks.

Reply to
mayday

The options would be:

  1. Replace with a 4 gang gridswitch, two switches and two blanks.
  2. Replace with a 'dual' box which is slightly wider than a double, and takes 2 single switch plates. This would involve digging out some wall, but if you do it carefully shouldn't need any making good - if that is the real issue.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

MK Grid switch system has both 4 slot and 3 slot frames for 2 gang boxes. You can get blank modules to fill the unused slots. The larger B&Q stores do them. There are also modular switch plates you can make up (several manufacturers), and one of these might look better as the blank modules blend in better with the background.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for your reply, but I believe the grid systems require a different metal box to the standard ones that is in the wall, so I'd still have to open up the wall around the box to replace anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts though!

Reply to
mayday

Don't believe so - I have a 3 gang MK gridswitch replacing an old 4 gang in a double box. All I needed to do was retap the threads in the flanges from

4BA to the metric threads used on the grid mounting plate.

The metal is soft as butter so a spare correclty sized fixing bolt will recut the thread failry well if you don;t have taps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I just need a 2 gang double width plate, must be something on the market? (even with wide rocker switches for the large of fingered people)....

Thanks.

Reply to
mayday

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If all else fails, get a 4 gang, two way set, then wire two switches per light!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Is the existing box plaster depth?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - they don't. I've got plenty of grid system switches (and very nice they are too) and they are just fitted to standard back boxes.

Reply to
shaun

Yes they are different, and a lot deeper !

Reply to
Tim Morley

No such thing, really. They come in different depths, and grid switches require deeper boxes than plate types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The official boxes might be deeper. However, there is no need for all that depth when fitting a 2 gang switch plate to a double box.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Most plate switches will fit in plaster depth (16mm) boxes - nasty things. Grid switches require a deeper box - normally at least 25mm, as do many dimmers. Hence I never use plaster depth boxes. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

2 gang plaster depth are pretty unusual, though. The official grid ones are much deeper than standard 25mm ones.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That maybe, but they exist. Pretty sure MK still list them.

I didn't know there was an official grid box for one and two gang - I just use standard ones. Suppose the only real difference is grid ones will have fixed lugs and to the sides only. Multi grid boxes would be specials, though.

35mm deep is my usual choice for near anything as it gives plenty clearance for cables without faffing about.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 16 May 2006 12:16:35 +0100 someone who may be "Christian McArdle" wrote this:-

I used a two gang 25mm box for a gridswitch which has one two way, two one way and one neon indicator modules. A three core and earth cable enters from one direction and such a cable and a single emerge to go to various lights. Plenty of space for wires in it.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes. Of course it may depend on the grid manufacturer. I've just looked at the current MK range - I've only got one grid example of that here - and it would fit a 25mm deep box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)