2.5in waste for sink

Hi

I've got a double basin sink that I need to replace the wastes for, but I'm struggling to find anything that fits. Most wastes for sinks seem to be 3.5in and the basin ones are 1.5in, but both of mine are

2.5in diameter. I'd need one with an outlet for the overflow and another one need not have this (though of course this can be blanked off).

Does anyone know of anywhere where I might pick up such things? Ideally I'd like to get stainless steel ones with strainer baskets rather than plugs, but at the moment desperation means I'm not that fussy!!

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Matt Frodsham, Cheshire.

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Sorry for bumping this guys, but I'm currently drawing a blank on this and getting a bit frustrated. OK, perhaps I shouldn't have thrown away the old waste (!), but in my naivety I presumed these things only came in standard sizes.

I've bought some 1.5" wastes which come very close to actually fitting, but there is only about 1mm overlap at the sides so I'm not convinced they'd be robust enought in the cupboard under the sink.

I've tried PTS but they couldn't suggest anything. Any plumbers out there that could post a word of advice as to where to try?

The sink that we've got in is a ceramic one, but there is no name on it so I can't go back to the manufacturers either.

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Just to clarify, it is the part of the waste that goes over and under the sink itself that is the unusual size (at 2.5in), not the pipework underneath - that is standard sized.

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Are you able to identify the sink manufacturer? There's a reasonable chance that it originates from elsewhere in Europe. You could try looking on web sites in France/Germany/Italy and see whether there are wastes in 63mm or could it be 65mm? These countries have moved on in their systems of measurement.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Can't quite see how 1.5" nearly fits but if you can say why this doesn't:

might get a better idea!!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks - I'll use the measurements on this to check it out tonight.

The problem is the size of the hole in the sink. From memory, that must be about 80mm across (so the flange at the top fits, if only just) but the seals underneath the sink are typically narrower than that, or just about the same size so the seal underneath would be inadequate.

Its either a quite old sink (possibly) or foreign (possibly). Ideally I'd like to have replaced with a basket strainer, but given that I can't even find a waste at the moment, I can't see me finding a basket!!

That 2in brass one does look like a contender however.

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Bob

Thanks for the help, that link certainly looks good. See images of the offending sink (includes measurements):-

matthew.larkin

No probs. If you use high quality mastic under the top flange, that will provide the seal. The plastic washer can be replaced or added to by something home-made, even. All you need is the pull from the nut to squish the mastic then.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mannix