2.5A 5V DC adaptor

The original Maplin web site sucked better than a 1Gw vacuum cleaner on steroids.

The more recent web site is much better.

PoP

PoP

Most of the warts I've examined have either full or half wave rectification and a reservior capacitor. I don't think I've ever seen one that outputs pure AC and never a fuse(*). The core is so pathetic that you can't get much out of the secondary before it saturates and the primary winding so fine it forms it's own fuse...

(*) My PABX wart (multiple output inc 24v AC) does have fuses that is the only one I've ever had trouble with...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most of the ones provided with Orange phones seem to be AC.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Maplin list a half dozen or so - so they're not that uncommon. I think most external modems have an AC supply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Rather a vague description, phones are only badged Orange but made by the likes of Nokia, Motorola etc.

My Sony Ericsson T610 has a SMPS wall wart, and it's tiny and very light 4.5v DC 450mA. The charger for my Minolta digi camera is also a SMPS.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's common to find a thermal fuse incorporated in the trafo windings.

Reply to
Niall

Yep, I used that with an Amstrad PPC512 - lightning fast 2400 baud modem. Their first CD catalogue was a steaming pile too.

Reply to
Niall

Just in case no-one suggested it... o Ebay - often laptop-style SMPS bricks on there

---- they are regulated, DC

---- many are 12V, however I've seen 5Von there too

---- a 36W 5V or 12V unit is about 5-6ukp usually

o Rapid Electronics - can be cheap on some PSU

---- at least relative to RS who can be pricey

o Do a wanted on uk.adverts.computer

---- someone may have a deceased item with ok wall-wart

Pity it's not 12V, altho as suggested if you have a PC near you can tap into the 5V supply from that (red & black on a HD connector).

Ditto for 12V with many Switches that use irritating 12V wall-warts.

-- Dorothy Bradbury

for fans, books & other items

Reply to
dorothy.bradbury

Just in case my last post gets lost in the depths of the thread above...

CPC order code PW0051266 should do the trick for about 20 quid.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just looking at my Rapid cat. which arrived today, they do a 2.4 amp 5 volt SMPS wall wart for 12.20 - 85-1802.

Thanks to Andrew for the tip - they seem much cheaper than RS and Maplin for my 'benchmarks'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I thought they didn't do this now - certainly never offered it to me the last couple of times they have not had what I wanted.

It has been a pretty good service in the past though.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Most external modems came with straight AC output PSUs and either no fuse or a thermal fuse in the transformer.

Reply to
John Rumm