2.5A 5V DC adaptor

Just checked my Vigor stuff - I have a 3-year warranty on my router on a RTB basis. However, I wouldn't be surprised if any reputable manufacturer wouldn't simply post out a new PSU under warranty.

Has the OP checked his warranty ? Has ADSL even been around 3 years ??

Reply to
John Laird

I emailed Draytek, and they said to contact SEG (a supplier). Got an email just now - they'll send one out for ?15 inc vat and del, which is bloody good :)

I'll do that methinks...

Ben

Reply to
BWGames

Result :-) Did you not have a 3-year warranty though, or no proof of such ?

Reply to
John Laird

No proof. I bought it second hand...

Reply to
BWGames

If you've got a spare socket there'll be 5.5 V at that sort of current from your PC power-supply. I've run 6V bike headlight bulbs from PC PSU's quite happily. Barley Twist (Please put out the cats to reply direct)

Reply to
Barley Twist

"BWGames" wrote | Dave Plowman wrote: | >> I'll use the PC PSU idea for a while until I can get down to Maplin. | > I'd be utterly amazed if you found one in stock at a shop... | Might get it online then ;o) | But yeah, the chances of that in a shop are slim...

The last time I bought something from a Maplin shop that wasn't in stock at the shop they ordered it at the warehouse and I got it next day, P&P free.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

With every catalogue that comes out Maplin's stock of proper parts takes a huge hit. Mind you there does seem to be a better chance of the shops actually having the reduced range in stock. RS are often expensive, but you're paying for that "Will be here 10am tomorrow" thing which can be priceless. Maplin's equivalent "Errr, maybe next week sometime" doesn't really match it.

Reply to
Niall

Tell me about it - they took a huge dive in the early 90s, when they went from being a serious electronics supplier to being just another Tandy.

But I don't believe they would've survived if they hadn't joined the PMPO brigade. They'd expanded too quickly, and had over 40 shops to service. They had to gain some mass appeal or fold.

I only ever buy online these days.

Totally agree - I *love* RS with a passion. I even bought a pair of boots from them once! Good boots.

When you order online, it's either in stock, or it isn't. If it's in stock, you'll get it the next day - almost every single time. Very reliable in that respect.

Reply to
Grunff

Have you got the latest one? Some things have improved, components wise - transformers for one thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

at work we used to be RS/Farnell only but now use

a lot (budget division of Farnell) stuff obviously come from the same warehouse

Reply to
Chris Oates

That's exactly how I see it, but that buisness model didn't do a lot for Tandy.

Boots, trainers, waterproofs; I have often said if they'd only do food there would be no need to go anywhere else. Glasgow TC has a free drinks vending m/c so half way there.

Mail order is fine if what you want will fit through the letterbox otherwise you're at the mercy of parcel companies uncanny ability to detect the 5 minutes in 24 hrs when the house is empty.

Also, if it's not in stock with Maplin it's often unavailable for weeks if at all. Got a "discontinued" from RS this week for the first time in years, there was an alternative available.

Reply to
Niall

Yes, I have the current cat - hadn't noticed the transformers.

Another bad habit they have picked up from PC world etc is the "clearance corner"; stuff people have returned as not working with a few quid off. Unsurprisingly, doesn't work.

Reply to
Niall

That will teach you to look in RS ;-)

Now go back to CPC and look for Switch mode PSUs - order code PW0051266 should do the job - 5V 2.5A (might even have the right plug on it!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I haven't checked, but in many cases I think so. Don't take my word tho. The issue is very often - at least with electonics units of any complexiiy, to simply separate the mains voltages from the unit.

Rectification smoothing and regulation is easily done on the main PCB.

But mains voltages with user equipment are subject to riogorous safety rules==expensive to get approved and expensive to produce.

So we have these stupid wall warts. And traling silly cables etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

RS are the expensive option for just about everything.

Download the Rapid catalogue at

better than Maplin, far cheaper than RS and mostly cheaper than farnell. Only problem is no on-line ordering but they take phone orders up to 8pm for same day despatch. Mine usually arrive next day.

Reply to
Andrew

I gave up on Maplin when they first introduced on-line ordering and told me (admittedly 2 or three years ago now) that I couldn't order a potentiometer on-line because the computer couldn't cope with it being a potentiometer + washer + nut.

Reply to
Andrew

Their original online ordering wasn't linked into the main stock computer anyway - it was quicker to phone in the order. I used to fax it as this was as quick. But their online is now much better, so I'd guess it is linked now, as it gives stock availability.

At least it works fully with RISCOS - I have to use the PC for RS to finalise the order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

For many years they had "on-line ordering" via a bulletin board type system which actually worked quite well. I think I used it from the late 80s, certainly the early 90s. Their first attempt at web ordering was a disaster.

Reply to
usenet

5 volts is surely red, yellow is 12 volts isn't it.
Reply to
usenet

Have to add a "me too" with respect to Rapid. I've used their services on and off for a few years and found them to be very good.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo Henning