2.5A 5V DC adaptor

Page 3 of 4
Niall wrote:

Tell me about it - they took a huge dive in the early 90s, when they went from being a serious electronics supplier to being just another Tandy.
But I don't believe they would've survived if they hadn't joined the PMPO brigade. They'd expanded too quickly, and had over 40 shops to service. They had to gain some mass appeal or fold.

I only ever buy online these days.

Totally agree - I *love* RS with a passion. I even bought a pair of boots from them once! Good boots.

When you order online, it's either in stock, or it isn't. If it's in stock, you'll get it the next day - almost every single time. Very reliable in that respect.
--
Grunff

at work we used to be RS/Farnell only but now use www.cpc.co.uk a lot (budget division of Farnell) stuff obviously come from the same warehouse

That's exactly how I see it, but that buisness model didn't do a lot for Tandy.

Boots, trainers, waterproofs; I have often said if they'd only do food there would be no need to go anywhere else. Glasgow TC has a free drinks vending m/c so half way there.

Mail order is fine if what you want will fit through the letterbox otherwise you're at the mercy of parcel companies uncanny ability to detect the 5 minutes in 24 hrs when the house is empty.
Also, if it's not in stock with Maplin it's often unavailable for weeks if at all. Got a "discontinued" from RS this week for the first time in years, there was an alternative available.
--
Niall

Have you got the latest one? Some things have improved, components wise - transformers for one thing.
--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:19:19 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Yes, I have the current cat - hadn't noticed the transformers.
Another bad habit they have picked up from PC world etc is the "clearance corner"; stuff people have returned as not working with a few quid off. Unsurprisingly, doesn't work.
--
Niall

I gave up on Maplin when they first introduced on-line ordering and told me (admittedly 2 or three years ago now) that I couldn't order a potentiometer on-line because the computer couldn't cope with it being a potentiometer + washer + nut.

Their original online ordering wasn't linked into the main stock computer anyway - it was quicker to phone in the order. I used to fax it as this was as quick. But their online is now much better, so I'd guess it is linked now, as it gives stock availability.
At least it works fully with RISCOS - I have to use the PC for RS to finalise the order.
--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

For many years they had "on-line ordering" via a bulletin board type system which actually worked quite well. I think I used it from the late 80s, certainly the early 90s. Their first attempt at web ordering was a disaster.

On 19 Dec 2003 13:01:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Yep, I used that with an Amstrad PPC512 - lightning fast 2400 baud modem. Their first CD catalogue was a steaming pile too.
--
Niall

On 19 Dec 2003 02:37:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sheerstock.fsnet.co.uk (Andrew) wrote:

The original Maplin web site sucked better than a 1Gw vacuum cleaner on steroids.
The more recent web site is much better.
PoP

RS are the expensive option for just about everything.

Download the Rapid catalogue at http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk / Miles better than Maplin, far cheaper than RS and mostly cheaper than farnell. Only problem is no on-line ordering but they take phone orders up to 8pm for same day despatch. Mine usually arrive next day.

Have to add a "me too" with respect to Rapid. I've used their services on and off for a few years and found them to be very good.
Mungo

Try XP.
www.xpplc.com
Look for their MPP range, and the MPP30US05 is a 5V/4A unit for 26.50 GBP. They appear to offer online orders, although we buy on account for the manufacture of our equipment so have no experience of them online.
Their website is VERY slow by the way :-(
You have to order the mains connector bit separately as there are US, UK and European versions available, and there's a choice of DC connector type too.
Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying

Well, they list several in the cat. The PJ 85 is 5 volt at 2.5 amp at 19.99 squids. But it's not a wall wart. I'd guess this sort of current makes it too large to squeeze into one.
--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:04:57 +0000 (GMT), in uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman wrote:

Ah ha thanks! Whether or not its a wall wart doesn't matter. I'll use the PC PSU idea for a while until I can get down to Maplin.
Thanks everyone for the help :)
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:27:37 +0000, BWGames wrote:

Make sure you pick up the +5v and 0V not one of the other rails (+12 -12 or -5v from the top of my head ATX may have a couple of flavours of 3v in there as well...).
A really old AT PSU might be reluctant to start without a bit of load and might be unstable unless all rails have something on them. Finnickity things SMPS. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:16:25 +0000 (GMT), in uk.d-i-y, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I've dug a old AT PSU out. Just got to detach it from the computer.
IIRC, its 5V = Yellow, and 0V = one of the blacks?
Shall pop into Maplin when I can get there and get the wart mentioned earlier, but hopefully it'll do for now.
Really don't want to muck router up (?200 ;)), but I'm a D.I.Y.'er and so hopefully I can get the PSU to do it.
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news

STOP!!!!!
Unless I'm having a brain fart,
Yellow = 12V Red = 5V Black = 0V
I'd suggest coming off a hard drive connector.
Christian.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:39:00 -0000, in uk.d-i-y, Christian McArdle wrote:

Thats what I'm gonna do.
Just dug the PSU out, and there appears to be also an earth lead for some reason?! (connected to PSU) *wonders where to put it*
Never seen em on PSU's before. It was connected to the case, so I guess it was just to connect stuff to that could be earthed to the PSU's earth? In that case, I can leave it?
Someone care to check my reasoning?
Thanks...
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

That's for earthing the case via the psu (kind of redundant since it's bolted to it). Just leave it.
--
Grunff