2.5A 5V DC adaptor

Page 1 of 4
Anyone know where I can get hold of one to replace a blown one for my ADSL router?
Tried maplin, but they only have 500mA..
Thanks,
Ben
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

You sure it's 2.5A? Even if the adaptor is 2.5A, are you sure the router requires 2.5A? That's a fair bit of current for a wall wart.
--
Grunff

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:41:29 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, Grunff wrote:

Well it says on the bottom of the router Power Input: 5VDC 2400-2800mA (MIN)...
Tried it with a 5V 500mA one and it just keeps restarting :S..
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

Wow, fair enough.
RS will have one <http://rswww.com/ , but it won't be cheap. Also try <http://www.cpc.co.uk/ .
--
Grunff

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:51:41 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, Grunff wrote:

RS don't appear to - only 12V etc come close to 2.5A

CPC have several 1A ones...
Whats the difference between a regulated and unregulated PSU, and does it matter?
Thanks...
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

Regulated the output stays at 5V pretty much regardless of current draw. Unregulated it goes down as you draw more current.
You want a regulated supply for this. Definitely.
--
Grunff

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:07:31 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, Grunff wrote:

Damn. The closest match I can find is http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CPC+Catalogue&ca tegory%5Fname=Electrical%2C+Security+and+Test+%2D+Power+Adaptors+and+Conve rters+%2D+AC%2DDC+Regulated+Plug%2Din&product%5Fid"7426
2A..
Can't find anything else...
if I did use a unregulated, and set it to a high voltage, as the voltage went down, due to high current... Might not be a good idea...
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
BWGames wrote:

No, 2A means 2A.
--
Grunff

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:12:15 +0000, in uk.d-i-y, Grunff wrote:

Yeah, that 2A one from CPC was *regulated*. Cheaper than the RS one too. Hopefully it'd work...
Very suprised it requires such a high current tho...
Gonna try and ask around, see what the original PSU's specs were....
--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:17:26 +0000, BWGames wrote:

I was suprised at my 8 port Linksys switch PSU is 3.3v 3A but when you think about it it's only 10W and if all ports are active at 100Mbps full duplex that is 24 LEDs to light all(*) the time.
(*) Apart from little blinks off for traffic on 8 of them.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:13:04 +0000, BWGames wrote:

You'd fry your router. Don't do it. B-)
Of course you gould get any regulated 5v PSU with a current rating >2.5A. Are there any say 5v 5A or 5v 10A jobbies out there...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Grunff wrote:

You sure? Most cases the only thing in teh wallwart is a trasnfrmer and a fuse.
All the reglation is internal to teh unit.
BTW the reason for all these orrible wallwarts is regulatory. Every unit that conects to teh mains has to get tested fopor safety. This costs. So teh modern trend is to outsiurce the manins bit, and then teh unit itself doesn't need to meet safety regulations, because it never has more than 20V or so in it.
Anoher example of 'right intentions, stupid result'.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It outputs AC?

I think it varies from one unit to another, quite a few of my wart powered devices don't seem to have anything in the way of regulation.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

I haven't checked, but in many cases I think so. Don't take my word tho. The issue is very often - at least with electonics units of any complexiiy, to simply separate the mains voltages from the unit.
Rectification smoothing and regulation is easily done on the main PCB.
But mains voltages with user equipment are subject to riogorous safety rules==expensive to get approved and expensive to produce.
So we have these stupid wall warts. And traling silly cables etc.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:15:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Most of the warts I've examined have either full or half wave rectification and a reservior capacitor. I don't think I've ever seen one that outputs pure AC and never a fuse(*). The core is so pathetic that you can't get much out of the secondary before it saturates and the primary winding so fine it forms it's own fuse...
(*) My PABX wart (multiple output inc 24v AC) does have fuses that is the only one I've ever had trouble with...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Most of the ones provided with Orange phones seem to be AC.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Maplin list a half dozen or so - so they're not that uncommon. I think most external modems have an AC supply.
--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

On 19 Dec 2003 18:08:42 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Rather a vague description, phones are only badged Orange but made by the likes of Nokia, Motorola etc.
My Sony Ericsson T610 has a SMPS wall wart, and it's tiny and very light 4.5v DC 450mA. The charger for my Minolta digi camera is also a SMPS.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:05:21 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

It's common to find a thermal fuse incorporated in the trafo windings.
--
Niall

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Most external modems came with straight AC output PSUs and either no fuse or a thermal fuse in the transformer.
--
Cheers,

John.