Subject Author Posted Replies

Sealing wood.
If you completely sealed a plank of dry wood, say in oil paint or smothered it in rubber cement (I'm assuming oil paint dries to a gas-prof finish), would the wood actually be preserved, or would it...
15
15

Expert Heating Advice
Andrea Leadsom has just appeared on the news saying that if people turn down the thermostat on their combi boilers (we all have one of course) it won't reduce the temperatures of the radiators and the...
8
8

What color exactly is the new UK passport? Blue or black?
I juat received my new passport. It took two weeks from start to receipt. BUT it's black! All that aggro with Brexit to regain a blue one. What is the world coming to?
35
35

chainsaw sharpening
I switched from Stihl petrol to Husqvarna 120i battery operated chain saw. The Husqvarna chain is a H38 with a recommended 4.5mm round file for sharpening. I've used the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpening guide...
3
3

Re: Where is Edwina when we need her?
That's the surprise.. Different chocolate egg products have been recalled over a link to UK cases of salmonella in children.

OT: Where is Edwina when we need her?
Different chocolate egg products have been recalled over a link to UK cases of salmonella in children.
1
1

First appearance in print: Politicians Anonymous
A.A. Steps for the Underprivileged Non-A.A. By Edward J. Dowling, S.J. [from The Grapevine, July 1960.] More influential on history than the Nile or the Mississippi, is another river ? the Gulf...

Methane detector
When the new boiler was installed and the gas meter changed, the Cadent chap left me with a CO2 alarm. Now, I can't be absolutely certain, but I thought that I detected a whiff of gas when the boiler...
25
25

Burglar Alarm Blues
My burglar alarm has not been activated for at least nine years and it is unlikely I will want to use it in the future. It hasn't been touched, serviced, tested or examined in any way either. The only...
23
23

OT: Energy Policy (relates to "Grid Upgrade" thread)
longish read, seems like good sense to me The Government has indicated that it is preparing a new white paper on energy security...here is my wishlist.

OT solar panels
On this group I've often seen posts about solar panels and how much money they have made or saved the person(s) fitting them - possibly due to excessive FITs payments. The money saving expert pages...
4
4

old caravan
A caravan has been abandoned, found, towed to a shed and I need to dispose of it. Police have checked it as not stolen. It isn't all that old but the inside is a bit stripped out, it isn't habitable...
14
14

four in a bed
four in a bed just showed a tv built into the wall above the wash hand basins ....shocking

Heat pumps?
Anyone got one? I've just deleted what i'd originally typed because my plan was to run it from some sort of solar setup but I had no idea they used so much power. I fancied a sort of partially...
22
22

OT: At home blood tests
In the docs recently having blood tests and it turns out my ALT levels are high. I must have been within 'normal' when tested around 6 months ago so i've plainly slipped into overdoing it territory. I...
14
14