1930s airing cupboard - asbestos or wood fibreboard lining?

I'm about to remove our airing cupboard in a 1930s detached house. I think it's original and it seems to be lined with some sort of brown wood fibreboard type material. I think it's probably made entirely out of wood fibres but is anyone aware of any asbestos containing wood fibreboard materials which were used in this way. Having come across asbestos a few times in our last house during a few DIY tasks I'm being slightly cautious on this one. Thanks for any advice on this.

Alan

Reply to
alan kennedy

Try shoving a thumbnail in it. If it's soft enough, it's probably Sundeala and no problem. If it's too hard and it's 1930s, asbestos is a reasonable suspicion.

However unless you're planning to saw it up, there is no reason that removing it carefully need generate a dust hazard. Dispose of as asbestos cement, which generally means the council tip will take it happily, for free, and in a specific skip not the geenral waste stream (YMMV, depending on local rules)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

what is called asbestos is in fact cement board, reinforced with a small percentage of asbestos fibres. Not hard to distinguish from wood products.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton