192.com ( probably OT)

I wonder if anyone can tell me about 192.com?

Where do they get their information?

Similarly several other sites, especially house price sites.

Two such sites and 182 . com seem to have a lot of information about me I don't know myself! I certainly do not know how they got it.

a) My telephone number is X directory to BT yet 192.com have it. b) My house was bought before 2000 so even the land registry do not have details of how much it cost but 192.co seem to know as do mouse price and house price spy websites.

How did they get this information?

None of the got it from me or asked me.

How do I get it off their sites. I dont consider it public information as I do my best to ensure I dont give details like that. Not even my OH or mum know how much I paid for this house. so why should anyone have access to put it on the net? ( and who gave it them?)

Reply to
sweetheart

Most of it will come from postcode databases. Your house will generally be a similar price to others in the area. Not sure about the phone number, but you used to be able to buy the phone book on discs abroad, that weren't for sale here. It would not seem that difficult to make a search engine that simply collects numbers associated with your post code.

Spamlet

All house sold prices are public. It all comes from the Land Registry. See their website (though there are free and more convenient alternatives). It's probably also stated in your deeds, which are also publicly available from the Land Registry.

XD phone numbers? Don't know. Maybe it wasn't always XD, and the house has kept its old phone number. Maybe you told someone who told someone who...

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Try clicking on the "Privacy" link on the bottom of their pages.

Try clicking on the "Privacy" link on the bottom of their pages.

To see your own details you had to give away a fair bit of information about yourself in the first place when you signed up to the site.

Try clicking on the "Privacy" link in the bottom of their pages and looking for similar on whichever other sites you're rambling about.

Reply to
Harry

BT are still required to provide it to all the other DQ operators, many of which store the data in countries with no understanding of data protection.

Like others said, house prices are not secret. You have to tell the government by law, and they make the information publicly available.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel