Subject Author Posted Replies

Skirting - straight or bent?
Just about to put the skirting on for my current job. The wall is (as ever) far from straight and bellies into about a 15mm dip in the centre of a 2m run, so there's a choice: either follow the wall...
12
12

OT Who renovates reel to reel tape decks in the UK these days?
I'm looking for either a working quarter track stereo hi fi deck or somone to fix my old tandberg as I want to run through some tapes and see if they have anything worth keeping on them. any ideas?...
38
38

Oil based varnish
Has this been banned by the EU without me noticing it? All I want is 1 litre of oil based mahogony varnish. I've Googled the sheds but can't find any. All they seem to have is quick drying water based...
4
4

Firmware updates... on sewing machines!
How the world has changed. Partner fretting over whether her sewing machine firmware update will work or go wrong... :-) I guess when I go up to bed, my flaming toothbrush will be asking for Braun...
21
21

OT: Quicken free, anybody?
Intuit has mad available, FOC as an aid to updating to modern versions, Quicken 6 for Macintosh Quicken 6 for Windows Quicken 99 for Windows Quicken 2000 for Windows Quicken 2003 for Windows Quicken...
9
9

For those of you who like to see stupid people get hurt
What were they doing at 2:16?
6
6

Roll your own rollerskis
I would like to try rollerskiing, but absolutely cannot handle the off-the-shelf ones. For various reasons, I need ones a couple of metres long, with ratchet wheels on the front and a REAR braking...
14
14

OT Washing machine test
(Link tested using Andy C Νομίζω πως μόλις χάσατε την εγγύηση… Norton Safe Web scans millions of websites to make sure they are safe. Visit Norton Safe Web now to see...
3
3

washing machine will not spin/new electricity meter
Hello, I have a Hotpoint WMA63 washing machine. It was working fine until this morning. Now if I run a program, the water will run into the soap tray and the drum fills with water but the drum will...
14
14

OT: Myth or true
Something I've been told about broadband routers. I unplug the router at the mains if I'm not going to be home all day, then when I return plug it back in again. I've been told that by doing this my...
73
73

Tried to be too clever ...
After discussion here, bought a thumbturn lock for our uPVC front door. Ordered Tuesday, delivered yesterday (sorry, B&Q). Fitted in 1 minute. Slight downside is we need 3 more keys cut ... however...
10
10

D_I_Y American style!
Health and Safety American style! Silo Demolition Sledgehammer Style Biertijd.com // Media » Silo Demolition Sledgehammer Style
33
33

How the hell did the vultures miss this ?
Krauts, eh ? By Paul Homewood   RWE’s new lignite power station opened in Neurath in 2012   Germany’s dash for coal continues apace. Following on the opening of two new coal power stations in...
12
12

OT: Calor Gas
Off topic, but I am hoping someone can help. Would it be safe to keep/transport a Butane Calor gas bottle in a car during day trips? Thanks.
52
52

Automatic line testing? Slightly long but a simple question at the end.
I live 500 metres from an ADSL 2+ exchange. But that is at the other side of the town centre, and I could belive my actual wiring run is longer, also the phone lines in our street (most of the...
16
16