Subject Author Posted Replies

Solution for compacting/shredding plastics ?
Ah well, it's that day of the week the rubbish and recycling are put out. Our LA has weekly rubbish, and alternates between green bags (garden waste) one week, and paper/cardboard (blue box) and cans...
50
50

OT Firemen unable to tackle fire effectively due to solar panels on roof
John Chalk from the fire service said: "There were solar panels on the roof which meant in effect we still had a live supply of electricity to the building, so we weren't able to get into the...
91
91

Just suddenly struck me...
... our resident Newfoundland poster, Terry Sandford - haven't seen anything from him for quite a while.

OT DR Congo toughest place for mothers
And do people get paid to do this research? The Democratic Republic of Congo is the "toughest" place in the world to be mother and Finland is the best, according to Save the Children charity.
12
12

OT: Bodyshop repair
SWMBO was in a line of cars waiting to join a busy main road when some git decided to mount the pavement and undertake the cars. He managed to prang our wing/bumper during this manoeuvre before...
24
24

Internal Door (Source)
My house has white moulded 6 panel doors (Colonist style??). Into my lounge I have a pair of doors where one is 30" and the other is 18" (the 18" door having 3 panels as it is sort of half a door) I...
6
6

Embedded Pi / Arduino hybrid
This looks quite interesting: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke2.jsp?bespokepage=cpc/en_CC/special_offers/bargains/part_detail/SC13007LP.jsp&CMP=NLem1...

Outdoor metal paint
Hi, I am a little upset because I sanded off and re-painted my metal stairway running upto my flat. How should I protect my metal work which seems to rust too quickly? I think I did this about 4 years...
6
6

Bales catch size
Very quick Q: For a (say) 19mm Bales catch such as does the 19mm refer to the diameter of the ball, or the width of the plate?...
5
5

Boiler change question 2
Following on from my pump location Question, I'll also be installing zone valves for the first time. Simple on off ones in a variant of S plan. I read here from time to time about problems with...
9
9

Lidl floor paint?
Lidl are currently selling a grey acrylic floor paint, £15 for 5 litres. Does anyone have any experience? I want to paint the T&G floor of a new summerhouse. TIA
10
10

How does expanding foam work ?
That may sound like a stupid question but... For reasons beyond this topic, I wanted to make the cardboard tube from the inside of a paper towel roll a bit more rigid. Ahah, thought I, fill it with...
18
18

beko any good ?
We need a freezer that is suitable for use in a garage. So far all I've turned up is a Beko model. Never head of Beko before. Are they reliable?
27
27

Moving a safe
I've just bought a property which has a floor-standing safe. I'd like to move this to another house a couple of miles away. Thankfully, both the current and planned locations are on the ground floor,...
8
8

CH pump location?
I'm planning to fit a new boiler to an existing CH system soon. Currently it is gravity fed DHW and pumped, vented CH but I will go fully pumped and pressurised adding the expansion vessel etc....
16
16