Subject Author Posted Replies

Best security for an up&over garage door?
What's the best security for one of these? Another "mother" project, hers is an old Garador one with the release lever in the middle of the door but she's lost the keys so it's permanently unlocked. I...
8
8

FIT prices
New prices for FIT as from July. Also PV storage sytems. Ofgem has confirmed the feed-in tariff (FiT) rates for solar photovoltaic technology for the period starting 1 July 2013 until 1 October 2013....

Smart Meters
News on progress. The mass roll-out of smart meters has been delayed by a year following concerns that the industry is not fully prepared to implement the technology across 30 million UK homes.

Odd multiway light switch problem
In our 70s vintage house there is a light switch on the wall (not near the door) with a piece of red tape on it, obviously saying "Do not switch me". I decided to see why. It turns out to be one of...
5
5

Induction hob - Y/N?
Our current gas hob is knackered (now two rings down and counting) and given that obsolete replacement parts are prohibitively expensive it needs replacing. SWMBO, bless her little cotton socks, has...
42
42

would you keep this fireplace (+ kitchen pics) ?
We have to decide whether to keep a 1930s tiled fire surround or rip it out and replace with timber surround etc. The fireplace itself is a Baxi Burnall (just missing the front ironwork and adjusting...
50
50

It's gotta be done...
I'm fed up with installing things designed by idiots & supplied with screws made from recycled cheese & plugs that are useless. Especially those slotted cross head screws that are neither fish nor...
20
20

Repairing or replacing leach field
A relative has a 20-year-old house with a field in a remote area. The liquid run-off from their septic tank (which is regularly emptied) is combined with water from their gutters and flows into a 75mm...
11
11

update on using waste site on behalf of resident
I got a reply from the council and apparently although I'm not a resident of the qualifying area, if I can "reasonably prove" I'm taking garden waste on her behalf, it's fine. I've got the same...
39
39

fitting celotex on a kitchen wall
Hi, As you may know, I'm in the process of redecorating the kitchen and I wondered about fitting celotex to the walls. There isn't a problem with the room being cold but it seems now is the...
13
13

Elfin Safety...
... he's heard of it. OSHA is Crying Right Now - FAIL Nation - Vintage FAILs of the Epic Variety
33
33

radiator bleed valve conundrum
Bleeding some rads today . Standard "key" worked on all bar one - key (5mm?) too small, 6mm socket too big.... Wtf? Rad is twin panel format but with bleed values (helpfully) on the inward face of...
12
12

Hewlett Packard cashback (OT in uk.d-i-y)
HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to £250. Have any of you done this, and is it pukka? Reading...
38
38

refurbing old slate roof
Hi, Looking for help with my roof. Intending to refurb my old slate roof due to regular leakage problems. So far leaks mainly due to cracks in the chimney plastering and in the lead gulleys (lead...
16
16

tacking cable to brickwork
I'd appreciate advice/experiences of a good tool for tacking cable to an external brick wall, typically round cable between 0.25 and 0.5 inches, such as network or coax cable. The staples would have...
13
13