Subject Author Posted Replies

bent handrail
Just had a look at the Richard Burbidge 3600mm handrail from An obvious bend upwards about 2/3 of the way along (i.e. a dip in the rail), max bend end to end up to 20mm. Obviously crap, although I...
25
25

Parcel
A has sent off for something for the both of us! It will arrive someday addressed to DP at our address.
10
10

Phone wiring (Virgin)
I need to re-route my phone cabling. Currently it goes to a box outside that was BT but now has a cable from Virgin coming into it. It appears that two cores from the Virgin cable are used (sort of...
12
12

OT. Anyone using HMRC PAYE software (bit of a rant).
Good afternoon folks. I'm self employed and employ a couple of chaps. I operate a PAYE scheme. In the past this was done manually using books and various sheets of paper, not computer based. All...
11
11

Deck mixer recommendations
At mother's house, kitchen deck mixer is leaking. Cannot undo brass screw that holds tap turner in place - suspect it was graunched when originally installed and/or hard water caking is stopping it...
6
6

Formula 1 on 19.2E
I'm fed up with spending hours avoiding hearing or seeing the results of F1 qualifying or races that the BBC are not showing live. And I'm even more fed up when my attempts fail! To avoid this I'm...
12
12

Rust on clothes coming from Hotpoint washing machine?
Relatives live in a hard water area and have had a Hotpoint WDD960 washing machine for just over a year. They are now getting small yellow spots that show up on light coloured clothes that they are...
6
6

Replacing roof shingles?
I have a lean-to kitchen roof, presently covered with felt underlay and felt shingles, approx 22 sq m. This is now failing and I plan to replace it with similar and I am looking for advice on the best...
1
1

Travis perkins?
Is it trade only? And is there a price list anywhere?
14
14

Plumbing stuff update.
Can't recall who recommended these Basin Mate things on the group, but thank you; I ordered one to try, & used it today on a right bugger of a job - it worked a treat. Four attempts to tighten & seal...
9
9

Unashamedly O.T. !
There was a proggy about schools in films on one of the kiddies thannels this evening before it shut down and some of those films were mentioned. One assumes the modern remakes are more explicit and...
5
5

OT a bit: Sony VAIO
Some while ago I bought a Sony laptop to act as a backup to my PC, after the latter was temporarily put out of action by a thunderstorm. I don't use the laptop much; it uses Windows 7, which I'm not...
25
25

wood for dining table top
I want to make a dining table which, for reasons of space, needs to be able to have its legs easily removed for storage. It also needs not to be too heavy to move about. It will only be dis/mantled...
6
6

There's something running around in my loft!
1930s brick semi in suburbia, with a slate roof. There's something running around in my loft - I can hear it through the bedroom ceiling and it sounds quite big, but then again it's hard to judge the...
29
29

Not D_I_Y tradesman to re-point house in Manchester area
AS above. My daughter semi is in need of re-pointing, how is the best way of finding a reliable tradesman/woman please?
6
6