Subject Author Posted Replies

metallic scourer removing limescale
That metallic pan scourer you can buy that looks like thick shiny wire wool works a treat for getting off limescale from glass vases without scratching up the glass. But when I tried to use it clean...
14
14

Cutting things out of blocks of steel
As some of you may remember, I often need to make one-off parts out of steel. It's too expensive to have them cast, and they'd need to be machined afterwards anyway. And I don't have CNC machines....
23
23

Paint sprayers?
Hi, I know I always get good advice here. I have looked across the internet and cant find much in the way of reviews. My OH is looking at a paint sprayer. It looks good on demo (but they all do). Its...
21
21

Rear View Mirror Adhesive
Some months ago the rear view mirror in my car fell off - a common enough story. Checking out the possible adhesives, I was feeling somewhat exploited at the combination of high prices (£4 to 5) and...
3
3

TOT: email to Tesco 14th May
Sent on the 14th May. Got an acknowledgement, but nothing since. Dear Sirs, Today I bought a walking frame from Tesco Extra (Doncaster). The price was £32.94. The item was shown on the till receipt...
37
37

cleaning out soap odour
I recently used a big glass jar to store some soap powder that had been spilt. The jar was originally a food jar. Problem is the jar now smells of soap powder and is unsuitable for food storage and...
15
15

The "Viking disease"
I thought this was something peculiar to me, and being too shy to ask for help I have suffered it all alone: It is not a big problem for me. Maybe someone in this group know about a diy-solution?
34
34

caleffi prv cartridge stockists?
Hoping someone can point me at a source for the replacement filter/diaphragm cartridge for one of these, all the documentation brags about the easily-replaced cartridge, but can I find one online???...
2
2

Argos TV - Licence - Big Brother
I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to buy an LCD TV and an Argos employee. Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of anybody purchasing a...
97
97

Glue for split wood
The 2x2 inch hardwood side-rails of my library steps split in an accident some time ago. I'm wondering if there is a thin wood glue one can insert into the splits, before clamping them? Any advice or...
4
4

Flying Rafters
I am creating a small cut roof, all 4 sides slope at 35 pitch to a short ridge board (rather than to an apex) on 3 side rafters will be birdsmouth cut to rest on a 150 x 50mm ring beam . At the front...
4
4

How to maximise efficiency of a condensing boiler
I've been wondering about ways to control the return water temperature on my Worcester 24Ri boiler. The front panel control sets flow temperature leaving the return temperature to its own devices....
21
21

Desktop PC startup issue
My trusty old (6 years) desktop PC has been difficult to get to start for the past couple of years. I press the start button, the fans and HD's whirl, but no peep to prove it is booting. Leave it like...
13
13

TV licence
I read in the latest Which magazine that a home TV licence covers the owners to use a portable to receive live broadcasts anywhere as long as the TV is powered by internal batteries. This got me...
29
29

Small roofing job, Sheffield
I've got some slipped tiles above a chimney that are letting rain in, probably where the tiles meet the flashing. I no longer have the tools, access equipment, leg-strength or enthusiasm to pop up and...
9
9