Subject Author Posted Replies

Please burn as much fossil fuels as possible
maybe, just maybe, it will bring on global warming. I am freezing, and it is almost July!
8
8

Way OT - Interner memes, technology, British summer and more
Let's add serendipity. I was contemplating the Usenet meme "AICMFP" (and I claim my five pounds) which originated, IIRC, in newspaper campaigns in the '50s and '60s where a picture was published by...
13
13

Screw slots
Shirley Conran wrote "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom", but how important are screw slots? If you want to be very fussy and align the screw slots on switch faceplates, sockets, etc., should they...
64
64

Wind scam revealed
Doncaster Free Press readers? letters. (Attached is a picture of Marr turbines taken from my kitchen window.) Dear Sir, From my kitchen window I have a clear view of the four wind turbines at Marr. At...
47
47

Worcester-Bosch CDi 30 Greenstar
Does anyone know it turning it off with its button on the control panel is any different to isolating its supply? Boiler is in the loft and I like to turn it off if I am isolating the water to avoid...
2
2

What flushpipe/connector for concealed WC cistern?
I'm tackling a slight, but long-term leak around the base of our back-to-wall toilet (one of this sort of thing: It has a boxed-in, concealed cistern (like this, but an unknown model): ; and I've...
4
4

Mobility scooter (gel( batteries
We've just inherited an Invacare Auriga mobility scooter. With dead batteries. Checking with a meter initially, showed 0.8V each. After about 10 minutes with a car charger, they were reading about 7V...
15
15

Well, that's the Makita count up.
By crackey, these older Makita 14.4V drills are going for peanuts. I've now got three of them; a pair of 8434 hammer drill/drivers and a 6337D drill/driver. All three are in very good condition, with...

gridwatch
Andrew Neil (yes, BrilloPad himself) tweeted about how at this moment wind is providing 12% of the UK's volts requirement, so I tweeted back to him to take a look at gridwatch.
26
26

Fixing a table
We have a table (from Ikea some years ago) made of wood staves, presumably glued together. It's been in our (hot and wet ) consevratory for the past year and I noticed this morning that some of the...
3
3

Can I put plants right up to the foot of a new wall?
Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to enough depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough...
9
9

Exterior filler, flexible, overpaintable
[Posted for a friend] What's a good exterior filler to use in gaps which have opened up between barge boards on a gable end? Will be overpainted afterwards.
1
1

Decking treatment (oil/stain ?)
Just getting towards end of a decking project. Split level aprox 30 m2 plus a 4 post supporting a 4m x 4m pitched roof. This is all with treated wood .... anybody any recommendation on what finish to...
3
3

Any Ford Focus experts here?
OK, got a very strange problem with my Ford Focus's cooling system, not sure if there's a blockage somewhere and might be overheating. First a quick summary of the events leading up to the apparent...
21
21

RF / home automation course - review.
I got a NICEIC email a few months back saying they were doing a one day course, along with Click, explaining, and showing, how RF automation works. £120 inc. VAT, with the 'dangling carrot' of £50...
3
3