Subject Author Posted Replies

OT All now gone
Took me two weeks with a lots of help to wire up these Covid sleeping quarters. out in two days
6
6

AFDDs one for Andy Burns
Andy was one of the the first to actually hold hold a Wylex single module AFDD. And last week I found this in a house
5
5

USB camera recommendations please
My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket would give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and...
13
13

2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.
Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that. Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to...
34
34

Examining a faulty handheld vacuum cleaner
We bought a Hoover Jovis+ handheld vacuum about 6 years ago. It was very reliable, and about 6 months ago I thought it was time to replace the filter, which had been cleaned many times. So I bought a...
19
19

Paul Samuelson, Nobel winner, Malthus fan
Paul Anthony Samuelson (1915?2009) was the first American to win the Nobel Prize in Economics. When awarding the prize in 1970, the Swedish Royal Academies stated that he "has done more than any other...

Impact driver great for removing screws with heads full of paint
I needed to remove a door the other day and was disappointed to find that the pozidrive screws holding the hinges in had all been painted over with about three coats of gloss paint. In the past I've...
4
4

Pilots Contend With Record Number of Laser Strikes, F.A.A. Says
Pilots Contend With Record Number of Laser Strikes, F.A.A. Says By Livia Albeck-Ripka, May 2, 2022, NY Times One foggy night in December 2018, David Hill was trying to land a helicopter when a beam of...

Garden Wall Construction
I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden, ti will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6' high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7...
47
47

!8" 15w T8 tube.
Got a fairly old shaver light (with isolating transformer) Still works, but the tube ends are very 'black' (it's a quick start type). The tubes seem difficult to get these days - TLC don't seem to...
10
10

Wet & Dry vac recommendations
My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to 1600W, set...
6
6

Pizza oven repair
With a full refund heading toward my account, I suggested avoiding the *clamshell* type for any replacement. Sadly, my grandchildren and their caterer seem determined to try again. Anyone have any...
6
6

AC LED Bulbs for Push Bike
Hi All I have recently resurrected my push bike for roaming the local villages. This has a Sturmey Archer dynohub which generates around 12v AC. Currently this drives a front and back light, both 6v....
20
20

funeral arrangements ( DIY) possibly off topic
My OH and I have very different ideas about funerals. I want to be buried in a churchyard ( my family are a graveyard type family). My OH have always been burners. The other day ( after watching TV...
96
96

OT Cheapest way for London public transport for a 16 year old?
Weekend trip with his Mum. I thought there was now a phone app for 16 year olds to use contactless payment.
9
9