18 inch wide cooker

We have a fitted kitchen that was there when we moved in. The cooker is an

Reply to
Alang

A lot of marine or caravan cookers are 450mm, but not many of them are free-standing and you sound sure you don't want gas.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've looked at marine and caravan jobbies. All gas

Cooker is too close to the back door. A sudden gust of wind when open could in theory extinguish a gas flame.

Reply to
Alang

I thought they would be.

Don't the caravan ones have flame failure devices?

Reply to
Andy Burns

no idea but I'd rather stick with electric anyway

Reply to
Alang

The cooker in our 'van has a hinged flap/deflector thingie, that can be flipped up when the hob is lit...

Kinda looks as if you're shafted, then?

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

It doesn't need to be rebuilt, just slightly adjusted.

It would be a simple matter to take 50mm off one of the adjacent cupboards and it's door to leave you with a 500mm gap, any joiner or a handyman with the right tools could do this in a few hours.

Reply to
Phil L

all depends on the finish/type of door how "simple" it might be

Reply to
Kevin

No it wouldn't. The kitchen is a galley style. We have the cooker, washing machine then sink unit. Other side is fridge and store cupboards and worktop. No way of moving or shortening anything on the cooker side. I've already modified the other side to get the fridge in.

Reply to
Alang

's not the simplest solution, but it would work, and it doesn't seem there are many other options.

Fit this as a built in oven, then add worktop on top and fit a hob into the worktop. Hob can be standard width as it can extend over the washer, or fit one or 2 domino hobs - might look more balanced.

auctions

Alang gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Eh?

Do you live in a wind-tunnel? A gust of wind strong enough to extinguish a gas flame is more likely to blow the flamin' pan over.

(says somebody with far too much experience trying to cook on gas stoves in the middle of windy fields - and who's never ONCE had a gas flame blown out)

Reply to
Adrian

Has promise. Could put it over the other side and move fridge. Stick a two element hotplate on top and it might work. If all else fails...

Reply to
Alang

Indoor hobs/cookers have much lower simmer setting and CAN be blown out by draughts. It is one of the checks I perform when "doing a landlords" to ses if burners go out when on their lowest setting when subject to some a bit of a draught.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Indeed. Something we have experience of and the reason we now stick to electric hobs. Our last home had the gas cooker originally placed opposite the back door. It just needed the back door and front door to be open at the same time with even a moderate wind to find the gas flame extinguished. I moved the cooker up the other end of the kitchen that time.

Reply to
Alang

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Alang saying something like:

has them listed via google cache, but not currently, so might be worth calling them.

This is the google cache listing:

Grimly Curmudgeon

There is a company in the next town that refurbishes cookers and has some in. I'll be checking after the holidays. Either get ours rebuilt or swap for a refurbished one

Reply to
Alang

Actually Biasco seem to have seeded their webpages (and google has fallen for them) with all sorts of products they don't actually sell, you can search for "electric cooker 999mm" for various values of "999" and they always appear at the top of the list.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns saying something like:

Sneaky bastards. Such an action isn't acceptable imv, as it is direct and deliberate falsification of results. I wonder if google have an opinion on it. I've noticed a lot of dross pages over the past couple of years, taking a google search term and throwing up seemingly relevant results, but they're obviously crap so easily avoided. I wonder if those were simply practice runs for just this sort of twisted advertising hook.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

[...]

Boat ones certainly do. The boaty world is paranoid about gas (collects in our bilges, dontchaknow.)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon