Subject Author Posted Replies

New bathroom , vinyl flooring.
I shall be renewing my bathroom starting in a couple of weeks. The plan is to cut back all the water supplies,cap and strip it out. I propose to have vinyl flooring. Is it normal to put this in at the...
9
9

Cavity Wall Insulation Slabs for loft?
I have a pack of left over 75mm Glass Fibre Insulation slabs from the building of my extension. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use them to top up my loft insulation? (Superglass - Superwall)
7
7

Whole House Fan
Anybody know if these can be purchased in UK .... would seem a great solution. http://www.tamtech.com/store/hv1600-r50-whole-house-fan http://www.tamtech.com/Whole-House-Fan-Videos.asp...
27
27

Increase water resistance of MDF
I'm using some 18mm MDF to line some undereaves areas, to be used as cupboards. Might it be useful to paint the roof side of the MDF with some kind of paint? MDF is the material of choice as I have a...
3
3

Popular Mechanics - Plus ca change
Happened across a 1952 online Popular Mechanics as I was looking for something and this came up in the search results. Quite astonishing how its pages resonate in so many ways. Some positively; others...
23
23

Continuity checking alarm cable
Can I make sure that my understanding is correct. In my house alarm cable is fitted but there is no controller. Some windows have tremblers fitted. I have been doing some diy and put in some extra...
1
1

Repair (left-hand) pedal thread
I have a left-hand pedal crank with a fairly badly stripped thread. Bearing in mind that I hope never to have to see a stripped pedal thread again (and certainly, not see one again at the bottom of a...
11
11

Table salt as weedkiller?
Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else I can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you could...
5
5

Pink Pongo
Being Diabetic I have to make frequent visits to the loo in the middle of the night. The first indication that there was a problem was when I came across a pink Pongo in the bathroom Ca. 4-00 am....
32
32

Wireless Door Bell
My elderly mother is hard of hearing. She has a wireless door alarm but it's so quiet she often doesn't hear it (I think it's a Byron). Plenty of alternatives on Amazon but can anyone recommend one...
17
17

New vacuum time - Henry for carpets?
My memory of what's recommended here is Sebo, Miele and Henry, with Dyson being alternately sworn by and sworn at. Does a Henry work on domestic carpet? Does one need a clever brush for it?
19
19

Chimney Type Extractor Hood - 13 amp socket
Please help in a dispute with my wife. I think the socket should be alongside the chimney so that it is accessable for isolation. She wants it inside the (dummy) chimney so that it isn't seen. What is...
10
10

OT How did I miss this one
I love to see a good news story And the quotes "It's a bit sad and pathetic. We're all in the same boat. We're not in competition." "It does sound comical. People that dress up in costume are labelled...
2
2

Child safe fence paint?
Hi all... I have been making a rocking horse for my niece, it's nearly time to paint it. I have some rustic brown fence paint by Cuprinol I bought from Jacksons, is it safe to use this? The container...
27
27

stripping varnish off chairs
Please any tips for speeding up stripping varnish off a wooden chair? Began with paint stripper + scraping but it is taking hours. Is there any way of diy dipping into some sort of mild caustic...
8
8