Subject Author Posted Replies

Question for Electricians
Hi all, I have a garage with conventional power and light fitments. Power comes in via what appears to be armoured cable and goes into a good old fashioned fu sebox/mains switch. The box says 'maximum...
10
10

DIY downhill . . . .
Red Bull soap box race now on Dave, have caught 20mins of hilarity, well recommended for recording. Anyway, back off into the sun . . . . .

How to make digging holes easier ?
I agree. We could come up with alternative solutions, such as making a 90x50x3000 wooden box, and dumping lots of soil around it, then moving the box to the next bit.
73
73

OT New offshore wind farm
Go ahead given for world's biggest offshore wind farm in Lincolnshire. Work on the massive Triton Knoll site - 288 giant wind turbines off the Lincolnshire coast - can now begin after the £3.6bn...
12
12

Perpetual motion (continued)
A lot of people here can't get it that fossil/fossil derived fuel is cheap at the moment. When this recession ends, the price will double or quadruple, all these Chinese/Indians/Brasilians are wanting...
83
83

Ceiling light fitting, how to release?
ceiling light fitting, how to release? I need to get the wiring, but I am missing a clue. http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/9277463901/lightbox/
2
2

Mum and Dad's Thomson TV won't remember the settings.
Every time they switch it on, it now goes through the setup menu (select language, etc.). I'm assuming there's some sort of small battery in there that could be replaced. Do TV's normally have such a...
9
9

VCR in line with TV Aerial
Just back from an elederly friend's home - he was saying he struggles to get all the Freeview channels. On reflection, I realise that he still has a VCR in the aerial line and I am wondering if this...
14
14

SDS rotary stop / hammer only adapter
Hi I have a SDS drill with a rotary or rotary+hammer setting. I would like to use it on hammer only for chasing out cables and back boxes (moorcut box sinker looks attractive). Is there a chuck...
13
13

Earthing imperial conduit, and trunking
Hi Does anyone know from whence can be obtained the screws for earthing imperial conduit back boxes? They have a slightly raised part of the back face and a tapping to accept a screw. It might be 2BA...
13
13

Who needs a concrete pump when you have this chap?
Inventive, but probably gets the H&S bods to wet themselves...
36
36

Balancing a ceiling fan
Damnit, I tried little washers taped to all the blades in all different places, and all I've managed is to halve the wobble.
25
25

Gluing perspex - hint
There was a need for a 50mm square of 6mm perspex this afternoon. There pr obably is some in a dark corner somewhere, but all I could find was nominal ly 3mm. Now I know that it's acetone plus perspex...
11
11

Recommendations please for board for microwave oven shelf
Hello, I need to replace existing chipboard shelf in a tall oven unit. The shelf has been carrying Microwave/Combination satisfactorily but is flexed badly and it seems an ideal opportunity to replace...
6
6

Starting a car without a battery:
A story from the past. When I was a student I attended lectures by Fred Hoyle, who some may recognize as a Science Fiction writer, or older people may recall he gave a series of TV programs about the...
69
69