Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Newsreader for Android
I know it's OT, but there are lots of knowledgeable people here who know all about usenet and newsreaders. I've just acquired a Google Nexus 10 (Android) tablet for use when travelling, and it would...
11
11

Identifying steel
I have a very nice bicycle made from Reynolds 531 tubes, and another that's much lower quality. If I didn't have the "531" label on the first, and didn't know already that the second were very cheap,...
14
14

Cleaning uPVC window frames
Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is always left slightly open. Other than WD40 and an angle...
7
7

Jaguar Boiler 28kW: Hot water only when the tap max open
Hi, My do-not-know-how-old Jaguar boiler 28kW developed an interesting problem: at first I had to open the taps to almost full to get the boiler started a nd hot water running. Then, it worked only...
1
1

Laminate Floor - Kitchen
Thinking of laying a laminate floor in our kitchen. Some types claim to be suitable for kitchens but no salesperson will claim them to be waterproof. Whilst we are careful and would hope to never have...
15
15

OT - breakaway cables for braked trailers
The breakaway cable for my 2 ton twin axle braked trailer is looking a bit worn so I am replacing it. This cable is quite substantial - 3mm diameter metal core covered in plastic. All the cables in...
15
15

RAID - (Flyspray) question...
One of my idiot housemates has just completely nuked our shared kitchen with RAID Fly and Wasp Killer because there were a few (
22
22

Weedkiller / root killer
I am recently re laying some 2 x 3 slabs and replacing some badly laid concrete with matching slabs, under the concrete there is a network of roots, mostly fine stuff but a few at a 1cm thickness....
14
14

4-wire old-style brass toggle light switch?
In the middle of decorating the hallway, and I've just noticed that the lightswitch for the stairs light is four-wire, since there's three switches controlling the same light. Trouble is, I want to...
26
26

OT - Windows Update automatically?
Being a long time Windows user I learned many years back to wait for a week or two after a new patch came out before applying it, to let others try it out and report any problems. However these days...
35
35

Lidl car inspection light.
Lidl have their car LED inspection light on offer again. 23 LEDs down one side of a tube shape, as it were, which has a hook or magnetic attachment. Come with car battery and mains chargers. Lasts...
7
7

Consumer unit live parts accessible without use of a tool
I have purchased a BG consumer unit (the one on offer at Screwfix with 10 MCBs for not much money). It has 'quarter turn' fasteners for the front cover. By pressing my finger on them and turning, I...
28
28

and some good news...
Lots of digging the other day and many visits to the dump with "ton bags" full of glant clippings 9which have to be hoicked over the side of RORO skips). Thought I'd given myself another hernia in the...
2
2

washing machine bearings - hotpoint wf860
I have a 9 or 10 year old hotpoint wf860 washing machine whose bearings are obviously going. The relevent spare parts are available and appear to be: hotpoint 35mm bearing kit, 30mm bearing kit, drum...
9
9

Motown goes bust!
I heard it on the grapevine...