Subject Author Posted Replies

solid-state relays - how to spec ?
HI All I'm looking at building a large-ish glass fusing kiln - it'll probably have two resistive wire heating elements - probably 3 - 4 kw (10A @ 240v) each in the clamshell lid. Opinions vary in...
26

Re: Three free editions of HomePower mag
They used to give away the previous edition, but stopped that a couple of years ago when they realised the back-issue value. I got quite a few years' worth that way.

best water softener?
The resin sac/bag/container in our elderly water softener split yesterday afternoon releasing its granules all around our pipework. Joy! Once I've flushed everything through what's the current...
7
7

OT Human powered helicopter (AKA "Kinetic art")
I want one. ;-) It's a video of a human powered helicopter. A thing of beauty and utter uselessness. ;-) Tim On June 13th, 2013, the AeroVelo Atlas Human-Powered Helicopter captured the long standing...
14
14

Fridge winter button
Our fridge has a winter button inside. That's not what it's actually called, and I seem to recall that it's supposed to be on when the temperature of the room the fridge is in is low (I don't know how...
96
96

OT Pile driving in Thailand
Brilliant!
13
13

Slightly OT: Petrol or Diesel?
Power is the rate of doing work, strickly.
147
147

TOT; Salt & Vinegar controversy.
Mayonnaise is better than all of them
54
54

Thinking about installing a 'Easy Fit ' Split Air Conditioner
As per subject, I am contemplating installing one of these things in my hom e office. I have a 'typical' two bed semi. and was wondering how effective such a unit installed in the spare bedroom office...
28
28

Undermount sinks flush-mounted in timber worktops - opinions?
I'll be starting on my kitchen soon, and currently I'm leaning towards undermounted sinks, used as flush mount by slightly recessing the timber. I've read that undermounting in timber can lead to...
3
3

Cement
I guess many of us have half bags of cement left over from the last job and having arrived again at that situation which begs the question... if you open a bag and re-seal it properly eg with duct...
6
6

Woman has baby. World holds its breath!
I mean really, I am very pro the monarchy. But really, honestly, its not that big a deal. Women talking about babies, bonding, breast feeding and belly sag. Please. I'm trying to eat lunch. Nice guns...
8
8

Fixing polycarbonate sheets in window frames
Can the same putty used to fix polycarbonate in wooden frames as one would use for glass?
10
10

Decent shed
Want an 8x6 decent shed. perahps on 50x50 framework and loglap stuff. Any suggestions (OK, building it ourselves is an option if the weather cools down anytime soon) Don't want a floor in it though -...
21
21

Boiler Commissioning Certificate
Could any esteemed member of this group give me an accurate answer to this question, please. We recently had an extension built. Part of the work carried out was to move our existing boiler to a new...
7
7